Sunday, January 3, 2010

Labor Help PLEASE?

So last night around 12:30am, I started getting really regular contractions that felt different from my previous Braxton-Hicks. I timed them and they were about 9-11 minutes apart. I rested for a while until they got more intense and seemingly more frequent. Around 1:30 they were 6-9 minutes apart, and I started experiencing chills and some nausea. I went to bed to get some sleep. At 4:30, they were 5-7 mins apart, in my back, front and cervix and lasting more than a minute, so I called my doctor's office. I still wasn't sure if it was real labor or not. They advised me to go to the hospital.

At the hospital, they found me to be 2cm dilated and 80% effaced. Baby is at -1 or -2 station. (They weren't sure.) My contractions increased and strengthened and went to about 3 minutes apart for an hour or so. They sent me out to walk for 2 hours, but when I came back, contractions were stronger and more painful, but still at 2-5 minutes apart, and there was nothing new with my cervix.

Now I'm at home with some pain medication, instructions to rest and eat and then walk, walk, walk, and to come back when it's time. My big question is this. How in the HELL do I know when it's time? My contractions are already pretty painful (though not unbearable.. just difficult to walk and speak through for some, just discomfort for others) and very frequent. What else is going to change if my water doesn't break to let me know it's time to go? More pain? I'm a little freaked because I was relying on contraction timing to know when it was time to go to the hospital. Now I have no idea. Does anyone have any advice? Please?

P.S. I wrote the previous post yesterday and scheduled it to post this AM. That's why I have a long post when I should have been worried about the baby.

24 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Well, let's see. If you think it might not be time yet, then it isn't.

And hooray! I am very excited.

maresi said...

WOW!! This is all very exciting and promising!

If your goal is to spend most of your time laboring at home, you probably want to wait until not being able to walk or talk is a consistent issue, or until your water breaks, whichever comes first. But seriously, don't be like us - have Hubs get EVERYTHING ready so that when that happens you can just get in the car and go, instead of taking 30 min to leave your house like us.

But if you want an epidural, and it's almost always truly impossible to speak or walk during a contraction, then I think you could go back when you feel like it's necessary.

Can I just say that I'm truly impressed that they sent you home and told you to eat?!? So many places would have kept you and put you on pitocin right away.

Dig deep, girl. You can do this! Tell your body to get OPEN and baby to move DOWN. Can't wait to hear what's next! Here we go!

maresi said...

I hope my comments were helpful/encouraging and not bossy/overbearing. I just really want to be a doula so bad that I take whatever chance I get to help people have wonderful births in whatever way they can.
Saying prayers for you right now.

Calliope said...

Boil the water!!!! Wooo!
I wish I could offer some input but my water broke before I ever had a contraction and even then all my contractions were medical. There are some accupressure points hubs can press. Will look for link. Xo

Barb said...

I have emailed these ladies, but note that I did not find Maresi's comments overbearing or bossy in the slightest. They were quite helpful.

Woozy off that drug, but got some good sleep which was sorely needed. May go BACK to sleep after digesting my yogurt. :) More pressure.. can't tell about pain due to aforementioned drug.

Heather said...

Whoooo!!! Exciting! One thought - if you keep up the pain meds, you might not KNOW it's time to go, you know? Urrrrgh. I'm so excited!!!

Rebecca said...

sorry no help here, I never went into labour on my own. BUT just had to comment to say:

YAY!! So exciting!! (I predicted jan 4 and I stand by that.)

Me said...

I (obviously) can not help. But I do wish you good luck!

Barb said...

Thanks! You girls are very wonderful. I thought the 3rd, so at least I got pains. ;-) They are def more painful now. But I don't think still ready.

seussgirl said...

I also can't help much, but I'm SO excited for you!! Hugs and prayers a-wingin' your way!

Barb said...

Body seems to have gathered itself and decided to get down to business. Contractions have backed to every 9-11 mins, over a minute long, but they are MUCH stronger. Re-do!

maresi said...

You can DO THIS THING. I'm thinking about you lots. Hopefully we'll all wake up to news of a baby!

Kristin said...

I am so freakin excited for you!!!

Chelle said...

I wish I was some help, but my c-section was scheduled and I wasn't allowed to labor if I went before the scheduled date.

It sounds like you are going to meet your little baby butt very soon!

CONGRATS!

HereWeGoAJen said...

Barb's husband just called me! They are at the hospital in the delivery room. The babybutt is expected within the next five hours. I'll put updates on my blog when I get them!

Malloryn said...

Wishing you, Hub and Babybutt all the best! :)

Steph said...

Aaaahhhh!!!
Very exciting. Good luck! I hope to hears news very soon.

bluehairedwoman said...

Good Luck! I hope you won't have to wait much longer! I'm guessing that your absence online means that good things are happening!

Jamie said...

I just now read this post and it sounds like you are already at the hospital!! I have goosebumps for you!!

Michele said...

OMG!!! I just read the comments so most likely, babybutt is here!!

feefifoto said...

Wow! Congratulations to you and your husband and everyone else that loves you. I just found you through Creating Motherhood and I'm totally tickled for you. Best wishes.

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! I saw Jen's update on her blog. Can't wait to hear about it and see pictures (but no rush, of course. enjoy the babymoon.)

Beautiful Mess said...

*Here from LFCA*

WOOOHOOO!!!! Congratulations!!!!
*HUGS*

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Here from LFCA =)