Friday, December 18, 2009

My Updates and Your Advice

If this is too long, please skip to the last paragraph to help me with advice on delivery!

I saw my beloved doctor yesterday. He said things are still closed up tight in there but that with the pre-labor signs starting and all that, that he could be born in either December or January. (Remember he's due the 5th). He thinks this baby is going to be fine in either case now. He also said he would like for me to not go more than a week late since the baby is already measuring as best they can estimate larger than average and more each week, and he's concerned about that for me. But he also said he would not like to induce without me dilating first. He thinks that's too risky unless you have no other option.

I've also learned that I am so lucky in my doctor and hospital. I've been talking about the things I've learned about what my delivery options are and what both support with other mothers. Through that, I've found that many other moms aren't even told they have these options or are not given the support they need to make their own decisions. It doesn't surprise me that so many women are moving toward midwives and doulas for this very reason. I just got really lucky. One example is that most moms I spoke to thought there was only one way to have an epidural - with your body completely useless from the waist down. However, my hospital and doctor have made sure I know that I can go in stages and different drug cocktails if I'd like. They can give you an epidural mix that allows you to still walk around, get up to go to the bathroom etc, and everything in between. That makes me feel fabulous because if I go for that, I think that's what I'd choose first.

In other news, I called and left an anonymous tip about the parking garage attendant. After all your advice and thinking about how he was actually hurting his coworkers by lowering the money intake into the hospital, I felt it was the right thing to do. The greater good ya know?

Finally, I have a call for advice. Tell me what were the things you could not have lived without during delivery and recovery. OR tell me what you most wished you'd brought or done. It's all a big wide open unknown for me, but I'm trying to make sure I do my best to be ready.

11 comments:

Jamie said...

I think the best advice I got was to take my Boppy with me. As difficult as breastfeeding was to establish, it made things so much easier.

SNACKS!! Hospital food was terrible and never came when I was hungry.

Christina said...

Since I had a c-section I don't know about delivery things but as far as recovery things go bring your own things for a shower, even a towel. Hospital towels are thin and worthless. Also your own pillow, it makes you feel more at home. Snacks, cell phone, and a book are good too. I've always had a hard time sleeping when the baby sleeps so I read a book during the day because I found the TV to be annoying.

Heather said...

CHAPSTICK!! I needed it constantly with all the heavy breathing during delivery. Also, I loved having my own pair of PJ's (nursing friendly) once I was able to get out of that hospital gown. I felt like a human again. Oh, and get some granny panties to take with you. Ones that you don't mind getting all bloody and gross. They gave me these weird netting underwear to keep the pads in place afterwards and they gave me a horrible rash. REALLY supportive, but that rash wasn't worth it. I had to have Mom go get me some Hanes (in a size up) when we got home.

Heather said...

Okay I'm going to be so annoying with my list...I think I still have it; if so I'll email it!

Michele said...

I second CHAP STICK!!! And I loved my nursing pillow (My Breast Friend).

maresi said...

I brought my nursing pillow, granny panties (ugh, the mesh ones are awful), SNACKS. Make sure you have juice at home so you can drink lots while nursing (if you're gonna) and still get some calories.

Kristin said...

It wasn't so much what I couldn't live without during delivery. It was that I was STARVED. Bring extra drinks and food.

Rebecca said...

bring a husband who can get stuff as it is required. seriously! You never know what is going to happen. I liked having CDs to listen to because I was in labour forever with Rhett. Definitely bring your own nightie/jammies, you'll feel like a new woman.

Does this say something weird about me that I actually loved being in the hospital, both times, for the births? It was nice to be taken care of while taking care of someone else.

HereWeGoAJen said...

I disagree with taking stuff. Except for chapstick. LEAVE YOUR OWN STUFF AT HOME. Let the hospital deal with the gore, you will have enough laundry.

Although, I did take pillows and a blanket (simply because we left them in the back of the car after birthing class) and those were useful for Matt. But you use the hospitals towels and stuff. FLUIDS, they will be leaking. I was fine with the hospital towels, gowns, mesh underwear, etc.

calliope said...

I agree mostly with Jen- use as much loot from the hospital as you can and make sure you ask for exrtas (especially if they have the sanitary pads with the built in ice pack- oh yes)

But I also totally vote for bringing some lush toiletries.

Also- if you can, shower before you go! My water broke at home right before I was going to take a shower and the hospital was all, "come NOW!!!!" I will always regret not washing my hair and enduring labor and then several days past the c section with dirty hair!

Anonymous said...

Use all the free hospital stuff that you can. Here is my short list of stuff I used that hospital did not provide.

1. Hair conditioner
2. Disposable razor (my armpits got really itchy - ick!)
3. Cell phone
4. Camera
5. Journal with pen
6. one pair of your own pajamas
7. high quality supportive bra - I went from a B cup to a DD when my milk came in...Ouch! I had no bras that fit and I was miserable.
8. chap stick

I also brought my own pajamas and changed into them during the day. At night I wore the hospital gown so I felt like I had "changed" clothes, it sort of feels like you are in a time warp.