Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Weighing In

Well, I'm now up to the 25 pound total weight gain my doctor wanted to see by the time I delivered... except that I'm only at the 29 week mark. That means I gained four pounds in 2 weeks. I am not excited to be weighed at this week's appointment. I'm sure he's going to have a few things to say. I wouldn't have anxiety about it at all if it weren't for the big weigh in and lecture crap. That's the only thing that bothers me about my otherwise perfection of an obgyn.

Send me happy thoughts please.

8 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Rock on! Grow that baby! (If your doctor says anything, have him call me.)

Michele said...

I think you are doing fine. My OB was never a stickler for weight or measurements. As long as everything else is okay, your weight is fine. You are growing a baby!

Rebecca said...

Oh, man. I feel for you. I had a weight nazi for a doctor too, but other than that I adored her. I really think that one's body just has a way of gaining a certain amount of weight when pregnant no matter what you do. (I gained the same amount with both babies, and with the first I sat on my butt, took the occasional stroll, and ate a lot of burritos. With the second, I exercised like a fiend and ate like a dietician.)

One thing that I did that I found helpful was, weeks when I gained a little extra weight, I'd do the pre-emptive strike. She'd walk in and *I* would mention the weight gain before she even had a chance to lecture. It worked.

Besides, it is probably mostly water anyway. You're almost 30 weeks pregnant for heavens sake!

(Sorry this comment is soooo long.)

seussgirl said...

Happy thoughts! :)
I see pregnancy as the only time to not feel guilty about weight gain, so I didn't really worry about it. And I've lost all but 10 lbs of by the 6-week post mark, so I don't think it's too bad. Now to get those 10 and the additional too-many-to-name off now that I no longer have the pregnancy excuse!

Calliope said...

also- if you are having any sort of swelling (in feet, in hands) a good bit of this weight gain is totally water retention. Seriously. I had crazy fluctuating weight stuff that was mostly attributed to edema. yay.

If you get any snark or attitude just pee on them.

Jamie said...

I'm with Jen - we want a big, healthy baby! Well, no sooooo big. But you know what I mean.

I actually lost weight toward the end of my pregnancy. Not sure how because I certainly wasn't trying but I hear it happens often.

Christina said...

Just ignore whatever your doctor says, even though I know how hard it is. Mine didn't say anything to me until I had gained over 35 and it was too late. I've gained waaaayyy more than the 25 pounds.

Barb said...

Thanks! You guys are awesome. I seriously am not looking for excuses for weight gain. But it's just hard to be picked on ya know?

Rebecca - yeah. I hate that aspect of him. I was thinking of going in and saying basically, "yeah yeah I know" before he could even get to it. Head him off at the pass. ;-) I guess I understand them saying to be more careful in the coming weeks or something, but really what is to be gained by berating you about what's already happened?? It's not like you can go on a diet and lose it.

And I've read some research that suggests women may be partly just programmed genetically to gain the weight they gain. I've had cousins with similar issues (the same weight gain no matter what they did) whose siblings gained the same as they did each pregnancy.

Not much swelling I'm afraid Calli... which is a lovely thing, but sad I can't pin the blame. haha. My fingers just a tiny bit.