Saturday, October 31, 2009

Advice

Breast cancer has found one in our family, (Funny how you think it won't) and big surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. I would love it if anyone who has had experience with this disease would let me know what helped them the most as far as gifts, support, well wishes etc go. I want to provide support with the sensitivity and caring that she deserves.

5 comments:

KayBee said...

Sorry, I have no advice, but prayers and well-wishing on the way!

Karen said...

My mother is almost 15 years past her breast cancer diagnosis. Because of her age and a couple of involved lymph nodes she had a mastectomy and chemo.

I think the best way to show support is like with any life-altering diagnosis. No "I know how you feel" or "It will be fine." Just an I'm sorry, how are you doing, I'm here if you need me, etc. Maybe make some meals for her to freeze, offer to grocery shop, or do other chores around the house.

I'll keeo your family member in my thoughts.

HereWeGoAJen said...

What about a care package of stuff for the hospital? Fuzzy socks, some magazines, maybe a few small food items that can be microwaved?

Lots of love!

Jamie said...

My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer recently and I made a package like Jen described. Candy (because she LOVES candy), fuzzy socks, a make-up bag, a cool ink pen and note pad.

I know the thought is what is most important. She will appreciate anything you do for her.

Chelle said...

My mom was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year and underwent a mastectomy. I just went home and took the baby to be with her after her surgery. Having all of her children home (all but one of us lives out of state) was all the medicine she needed. One thing she did enjoy was an edible arrangement a neighbor and friend sent. She was so touched, and we all enjoyed sitting around and chatting while we ate it.

My advice is just be there for her if you can. Let her know you love her and are there if she ever needs you.