Saturday, October 17, 2009

Breast Pump Help (Again)

I called my hospital about this, and they gave me an answer, but I'm not sure I remember it all correctly. So rather than call them again, I thought I'd ask all of you bright people. I think my hospital says they carry Ameda and Medela breast pumps to show their new moms. Now since they carry both of those, would you get the attachment stuff for free to take home with you from one of them? You know, like the suction thingies and tubes. Yes I am very technical. I was mistaken in some of my info on my first call, so I didn't remember what I needed to know correctly.

Thanks peeps!

7 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I have most of the Medula bits in my closet, never used. They are yours! (Minus the bits that are used in the manual pump. Well, you can have those too, if you want them, but they don't carry the "never used" label.)

Michele said...

Ameda is made by Medela. I have attachments to both (since my hospital pump is Ameda and the home pump is Medela). The bottles fit on both; the flanges are slightly different (however, I hear that there are pumps that share flanges made under both names).

Kristin said...

You get to keep whatever tubing and suction cup things you use in the hospital because it is illegal to reuse them.

KayBee said...

Kristin is right... but, they are not "free" exactly. Your insurance will be billed for them as part of your hospital expenses, and if they are not covered by your insurance, the hospital will bill you for them. But it will be less than buying them from the dealer and paying shipping, etc.

Thankful Terri said...

I got all the lines, and shields with mine in the hospital. I would suggest using the hospital pump while in there. Since G. was in the NICU my Dr. wrote me an RX for a breast pump which insurance paid all except my copay (which was 10% so I only paid 2.49). Keep that in mind.

Jamie said...

Yeah, it's not really 'free' in the end, but I was surprised at all the stuff our hospital sent home with us. Diapers, pacifiers, blankets, etc. You'll be able to take all the bits home you want!

AwkwardMoments said...

late to the party - but yes they will give you parts to try out. They should not charge you for them