Friday, October 30, 2009

Not Immune

I am back from the 3 hour glucose tolerance test. Well, I've been back for a while, but food and sleeping had to come before blogging. It really wasn't so bad. I mean, it wasn't as bad as you would think for guzzling the orange crap and having 4 blood draws in 3 hours with an empty tummy. I was really lucky to have the very gentle guy who has a soothing voice and rarely hurts me at all and never leaves a bruise. He was so careful to not do the same draw twice. As for how I felt, the first hour and a half were bleeeeeh, but then I felt better. I'm hoping this is a sign my body dealt ok with the sugar? I know, I know. Don't get ahead of myself.

In any case, I had all these plans that I was going to write down blog ideas I had, make shopping lists and in short, just be all productive. Yeah right. I'm really glad I had my easy read book, Betrayed with me. I finished the whole thing. I liked it. I think I liked it enough to read the next few.

I did at least think about blogging while I sat there. I thought about the fact that while I'm pretty comfortable with this pregnancy now most of the time, I am most definitely not immune to the terror of something happening to my baby. As long as everything is going exactly according to plan, I feel great. But if one of my blood tests comes back a little off, or I don't feel him kicking quite so much one day, I worry.... a lot. People were so wonderful to me when I had my chemical pregnancy.* I was obviously devastated that one of our expensive, crappy procedures ended that way and that my possible little life was gone. However, I did know that it wasn't the same for me as losing it later on would have been. And people were so kind in saying that it was the same, that I was still a Mom and all that. But now I know for sure that for me, the loss of this pregnancy would be a devastation nowhere near what I felt then. I would mourn the loss of my child with all my heart. The stakes are so much higher now that when anything goes even a little off, that panicky voice tries to pipe up.

That's partly why I got the flu shot, and why I kick myself that I delayed on getting the H1N1 and now it's not here anymore. It was available for one day. I can handle getting sick and feeling miserable. What I can't handle is the guilt if I got sick and something happened to my baby when I had the possible power to prevent it. I dodged a bullet this week. We just found out that a friend we just visited was coming down with the swine flu while we were there. Luckily both Hub and I are past the point where we would be showing signs if we were to get it. However, Hub has been working his tail off and seems to catch everything, and I work around lots of people every day. I hope we continue with this luck.


*fyi just in case - meaning that you had a pregnancy.. implanted and all but you only had blood test results to prove it because it was lost so early. It always bugs me when people say it was a pregnancy that didn't implant. Because if it didn't implant, you wouldn't get a positive pregnancy or blood test. And you usually lose the pregnancy much after it should have implanted with a chemical.

5 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I'm sure you'll pass this time. You didn't sound particularly cheerful during that first hour though.

Rebecca said...

eh, I had to have that 3 hour test myself. I'm glad you didn't find it too horrible. By the way, you look great. It looks from the photo like you are carrying quite high. Mine were both practically between my knees, they were so low. You look way cuter. :)a

Rebecca said...

p.s. that "a" after the smiley is a typo. my mousepad displaced part of my word verification.

Barb said...

Nope. Not at all Jen. haha.

Thanks Rebecca! I'm sure you looked good. :) I don't have anywhere to put my baby b/c my midsection is so small.

Kristin said...

I hope the test results put you in the clear.