In an emergency run for allergy medication for Hub:
A Wal-Mart cashier goes to put my 3 items - a bag of chips and two small bottles of medicine - in one of those annoying plastic bags.
Me: Oh, don't worry. I don't need a bag. I'll just carry them.
Her (still putting them in the bag): Are you sure? You need one.
Me: No I don't. I'll just put these in my purse and carry the chips.
Her: But they like you to have a bag!
Me: I'm sorry. I'll just tell them I told you not to give me one if they ask. (I never asked who "they" were.)
Her: But they might ask for proof when you exit!
Me: Yes. That's ok. I'll just show them.
Her: But they'll ask for your receipt I mean!
Me: Yes. That's what I'll show them. I'm ok with that.
Her: Are you SURE?
Me (exasperated but calm look): I'm SURE. These bags are a waste.
Her: No! They can be so useful!
At that point I cut eye contact and moved quickly away. These are the same people that often also look at me like I'm crazy when I have my own bags and then get all huffy about not wanting to pack them and watch me while I do so. Whatever. Sometimes we're so backward here. By the way - "they" didn't want to see my receipt even when I offered.
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
what is it about people just dying for you to have some plastic??? I mean, we have had to unbag things before. We really DONT want the bag.
The worst is when you bring your own bags and they still try to bag in the plastic!
Yes. I have unbagged or consolidated before too! I HATE when they put like 2 things in each bag. grrrrr. Those bags are stupid anyway b/c they hold so little. I guess for us weakling Americans. I've also put bags in the recycling as soon as I've gotten outside. LOVE Your new photo!!!!!!!
I can't believe she fought you on that. Too weird. However, if you are crafty, you can use those plastic bags like yarn and crochet small things.
Good point Kristin. Can you knit them? I don't crochet. But at the glacial speed of my knitting, I don't know that I'd get to all those bags either. haha. We use them for wet clothes, small trash bags and to bag some of our pet stuff. And even though we almost always take our reusables, we still end up with TONS of the things that we then need to recycle. Craziness.
My Wal-Mart just doesn't know what to do with the reusable bags. At least they've stopped asking me "do you want me to USE these?" but the other day they bagged my raw chicken with my strawberries. Nothing else in the bag, just those two items.
I don't think the people at Wal-Mart understand the concept of not using plastic bags! If they're so useful why do I have an entire kitchen cabinet full of bags?? The dogs only poop twice a day!
My usual response to the "Are you sure????" comment:
"I figure that as long as we're killing people halfway around the world for oil I should conserve on petroleum products."
To which they respond by staring back at me blankly. And then I can run away very fast, sans bag, before they recover.
OMG it is loke you totally confused her. She must have been messed up for the rest of the day. LOL
Ugh, this is why I hate Wal-Mart. One of the many reasons.
Lol. How bizarre. I barely come across people who use plastic anymore. Everyone here is either green, or taking the bus and therefore want something strong enough to last the trip.
Post a Comment