I would like to blog about how I went to an Aveda open house and got a free 5 minute massage, a hand scrub and massage, make-up consult and some yummy finger food. I would also like to blog about how nice it is to have a good friend with which to do that, and how I booked a hair AND massage appointment with the wonderful massage therapist I met there.
That's what I would like to feel like talking about. Instead, I'm so focused on negative shit. I find myself so very sensitive to criticism lately. It's been difficult. Sometimes even the slightest criticism makes me want sit in my room and mope. The crying is frequent. Yes I am normally an emotional girl, but this is ridiculous. Negative comments, no matter how nicely worded, on the condition of my house, my looks, my hair (of course happened at the salon), my thoughts, my husband... all of it either makes me anxious or depressed. One of the big triggers right now is I've just grown out of a bunch more clothes and am not looking nice again in the wardrobe department. It's especially bad if I think I've made a lot of progress in one area or another and then someone casually comments on how bad it is. Then it's so much worse because I was proud of myself. What the Hell? I know it's hormones, but it's still so difficult. I'm seriously thinking of just becoming a hermit for the rest of this pregnancy. Or at the very least, I'm considering not having most people over to the house ever again.... unless perhaps they sign a contract that only permits them to say shiny happy things while here. I was always self conscious about the condition of my house in a cleanliness sense and in a "it's not finished" sense, but it's gotten a million times worse now. I'm so insecure about the fact that it's not yet in any way a finished product. But at the same time, we've just gotten the money to start doing that stuff, and it really is coming along! AAAAAAAAAHH.
All of this, and the in-laws are coming tomorrow. And I will be alone with them a lot. And MIL has promised to "get information" from me on Hub that he won't give to her. And yes again, this is the same MIL who said my arms and face were looking fat, not just pregnant.* Internets - please be nice to me the next few days... or maybe weeks... or months?
*Amongst many other issues on which I'm sure she'll have more commentary.
Friday, October 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I'm so sorry you're feeling this way now. I hope your IL's take it easy on you today.
I totally understand the want for being a hermit. I feel that way a lot to lately. People don't realize how much their comments hurt to a sensitive pregnant woman that has outgrown all her clothes.
::Hugs:: I think your house is lovely, and I'll beat up anyone who says otherwise! And if there is something you need help with, I actually like cleaning and re-arranging, so I'll come up if you need me! I love you and you're doing great with everything...and if you need more maternity clothes, Old Navy has a lot on clearance on their website! Call me if you want to talk!! XOXO
No one likes negative comments on anything. Particularly in an emotional time.
Your house looked really nice the last time I was there. Plus, you can always just wave cute baby things in front of people. "No, look at THIS!"
GRRRR that makes me angry that people would say mean things to you. Why? that does not make sense! Why would you want to hurt someone?
I think your house looks great (lets forget the fact I have not seen it) and you are BEAUTIFUL!
I hope things get better soon and the IL's are nice.
Thanks so much everyone. I don't know if the comments are particularly mean. It's just that they're there and at this time any sort of criticism on stuff like that seems to sting a lot more for me. I really want a pretty house and baby room before he comes, so that bugs me a lot, and when I think I look nice for a pg lady, it hurts my feelings when someone tells me I don't in not so many words. :(
It is amazing what people will say to a pregnant woman. Ummm . . . don't they know pregnant women tend to be hormonal and emotional?!?!
I had similar feelings. And after he arrived, I have become a hermit and couldn't be happier. Hang in there, sweetie. The prize is so worth it.
I hope your IL's behave this weekend. If you need some love, you know where to find us!
Oh, I am sorry. This is a really tough time in pregnancy. And tell those stupid ILs if they say anything that I am sure they don't mean to be saying anything remotely negative to the woman who is about to birth their grandchild?
Boooo. I totally understand feeling emotional - people would barely get a word out when I was pg before I was crying or yelling. Here's hoping the visit goes better than you expect...
I think your hubby should take her aside and extract a promise to only be nice (ah well, I know it's probably wishful thinking). I think you look gorgeous!
Like your last line MS. :)
Thanks Heather. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Kristin, I could KISS You for that last line. haha.
Someone at work today said he'd be surprised if I didn't go out next week, I'm so huge, and he held his arms wide. WTH??? I REALLY am not huge. I swear. I've gained 18 lbs now at almost 28 weeks, and my uterus measures fine. Isn't that ok??
Oh hon... I hope your visit goes well and that she is nice! I mean, what a nasty comment about your arms!
Post a Comment