I usually like to try to do Happy Things lists because it feels so much more positive and fulfilling. However, right now I'm sleepy, a bit grumpy and annoyed. I don't feel the happy happy joy joy. Thus - my very first annoying things post is born.
Things that have been annoying me:
1. Acquaintances who pass harsh judgment when I say we aren't sharing baby's name until he's born. I hardly think it keeps them awake nights wondering. Besides, we won't be sure until he's born. And if you think that's weird? Keep it to yourself ok? That's just how we are.
2. In the same vein - acquaintances who HOUNDED me for the baby's gender... asking me at LEAST every other day when and/or IF I was going to find out and assuring me they were just DYING to know. Apparently they weren't losing sleep over THAT either since they forgot my answer at least every other day and had to ask me again.
3. And when those same acquaintances who hounded me before my day off for the appointment, telling me I must text them (when we don't even have each others' phone numbers) then proceeded to forget all about asking when I saw them again. OBVIOUSLY no sleep lost. If you don't really care, then leave me alone ok??
4. SLOW ASS DRIVERS WHO SIT IN THE LEFT AND RIGHT LANE AT 10 MPH UNDER THE LIMIT WHEN I'M TRYING TO GET TO WORK.
5. People who act as if animals do not deserve similar consideration as humans. For example, people who would never shout randomly at other humans in a public situation will readily scream, clap, whistle, bang and throw things at animals and expect them to at least come to them and sometimes to LIKE them. It boggles the mind. A good rule of thumb it to treat a strange animal similarly to how you would treat a stranger whom you had just met and were trying to get to know.
I also still find myself in that squirmy place I mentioned before. Now though, I find myself squirming when people who are not very close to me ask all kinds of things about the baby and about our plans with him in passing conversation. I know it doesn't seem odd to them, but to me it feels very out of place and private for that type of conversation with someone of that relationship. Sometimes it makes me so uncomfortable, I find myself becoming snippy and angry as a reaction. I try to hide it, but I can't deny that I feel it.
In this case, it feels to me almost as if people I wasn't very close to at all asked very intimate questions about my and Hub's relationship when we were starting it. I guess that's the closest I can approximate. I know they mean absolutely no harm, and I know it seems as if I am harsh, but I do my best not to hurt anyone with it. Stopping my feelings? That's a lot more difficult. It's just so weird that people who before wouldn't really care about my day feel that it's ok to ask such close questions about my baby. Where the hell did this protective feeling come from? It's like it swooped in with the hormones! I'm protective and in love. It's crazy. I'm a little scared of its intensity when he's born.
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Oh, no. Now I get to do all those things to you tomorrow. Poor you.
Wait, what kind of baby is it again? I forgot.
Now, seriously, I am so with you on that squirmy place. I still get bothered by that. WHAT BUSINESS IS IT OF YOURS WHETHER SHE GETS CHEERIOS OR NOT?
It has always boggled my mind how nosy and generally disrespectful of personal space and opinions people get when it comes to babies and pregnancies. {{{Hugs}}}
I could have written most of this post from my (annoyed) point of view! I've had to tell my in-laws - "You'll know his name when we introduce him to you." It doesn't help that my SIL had both of her girls' names picked out like 1/2 way through her pregnancies.
And go, Mama Bear, go! :) You be all protective and such - you've earned it. :)
Hahaha. I guess it will never go away Jen. And the crazy thing is, I key in on your discomfort when people do it to YOU, and then I get all squirmy too on your behalf. And I'm all protective of E too! I'm gonna be a mess with my own. haha.
Thanks Kristin! I'm going to do your book post thing. I've been excited about it. I'm such a book nerd. haha
Thanks SG. Glad I'm not alone. xo
nosy people do suck! even though we are open with names and genders, it irritates me when people ask over and over again. is it that hard to remember??? and i dont like the icky uber nosy questions either. ugh! i usually shut them up with talk about my cervix- then they stop asking!
I felt the same way when I was pregnant. I didn't mind in the beginning of the pregnancy, but by the end of it I was sick of the questions and comments. I especially hated it when people ask when I would "pop" or make comments like, "You haven't had the baby yet?" Nope. I did. I just stuffed a pillow under my shirt and came back to work this morning so you could ask a stupid question. Only a few more months of annoying questions. ;)
Michele - No it's not that hard to remember. They just don't care as much as they pretend to, and that bothers me a heck of a lot more than people who don't have an interest in it. LOVE the cervix trick.
Cute Chelle. :)
Good point cali. :) And Thanks.
I'm telling you - all social etiquette goes out the window when you're pregnant. Which makes no sense because you're emotionally unstable to boot.
When we were getting our gender u/s, I had people who barely knew me wanting a text. I just smiled and nodded. Weird.
Ugh. Getting all that crap from my mom is bad enough and makes me squirmy. That is why I plan to hole up for the winter. ;)
Post a Comment