Saturday, August 22, 2009

Anxiety

Yes, I am awake at 3:01 am, typing on my blog. Practice for baby? Perhaps. I call it plain old fashioned anxiety rearing its head as usual, along with a good healthy side dose of "my belly is stretching painfully in a brand new place, my body is a blast furnace, and I can't get comfortable." I remember being astonished in the early stages of this pregnancy that I was so little affected by the mood swings everyone seems to experience. I thought at the time that perhaps I just had such severe mood swings often in my every day life, that these seemed minor in comparison. Now I think maybe that nature was just holding on to throw it at me later.

I'm very stable and happy most of the time but my anxiety levels have been humming at a slightly higher frequency for a while. When you throw in the occasional mood-swingy day, it adds up to a not so pretty picture. Today (yesterday now?) was one of those days. The slightest frustration has the tears welling. Things that normally would annoy me in passing become a fixation. At the same time, issues that have bothered me quite a lot for a while become matters of national security. I feel vulnerable, anxious, unable to affect change and inadequate. Is this what the pregnancy books mean when they say you may be experiencing "uncertainty, fears and changes in emotion?" The funny thing is, it's rarely about the baby himself. For example, right now it has been:

-"How am I going to work full time and care for my baby adequately? I'm a bad Mom!"
-"I'm so tired, I can hardly drag myself into work now. Is this going to continue?"
-"I feel guilty that Hub seems to be eating for two along WITH me at a time when he can't afford to do that either!"
-"People are going to notice my mood swings and think it's something they did, or think I'm ungrateful for this sweet, wonderful miracle in my life."
-"I'm costing us so much money in food and energy costs (because of being so hot at night I have to turn the a/c down), and that's horrible when we need to save so badly."
-"I'm never going to get enough done in this house, and Hub is so busy he doesn't help me enough!"
-"I hardly see Hub for fun stuff anymore, and I hate his work because of it!"
-And the reverse, "I feel guilty for expecting Hub to help me more when he's at a critical break through in his career! I need to support him more, especially since he's waited so long for this and supported me emotionally for years while I did what I needed to do in my career!"

ARGH. I suppose this is the kind of stuff that doesn't end with the birth of the baby huh? Compromises suddenly become huge deals. What a learning curve this all is. I wouldn't give it up for the world, but wow.

8 comments:

Calliope said...

Anxiety swallowed up so much of me when I was pg. SO much. But this I know- you are going to rock this Mama stuff. for reals.

Michele said...

The joys of stress and anxiety! Just remember: one day at a time, one breath at a time. We cant fix tomorrow but we can focus on today. I had a little anxiety hit last night and freaked out on Peter but thankfully some relaxing breathing and reflecting settled me down. But I hear you! It aint fun!

Jamie said...

I have had more than one person tell me my mantra needs to be "This too shall pass." They said it was the only thing that got them through the end of pregnancy/first few months after birth.

I have also been anxiety ridden about things that normally wouldn't bother me so bad. Like after my baby shower - looking at all the gifts made it so much more real. It was all I could do to keep from falling aprart into a sobbing mess. God love hormones.

We'll get there!!

HereWeGoAJen said...

Never fear, I can help with lots of those things! I WILL help you get the house done. I actually had an idea about that the other day. I shall email you. But I will not call you! ;)

Kristin said...

Oh hon, those are all perfectly normal, totally crazy making thoughts. You will make it. You can do it. {{{Hugs}}}

Chelle said...

Yep, it all sounds pretty normal to me. lol

And no, it doesn't go away when the baby arrives, it just takes on a different form.

A wise person told me this week that being a mother is a welcome to permanent guilt. You will always feel like you should be doing everything better for your child. It is all completely worth it!

Jen said...

I was totally freaked out about being a mom while pregnant. And in the first week or two after she was born that anxiety only got worse rather than better. But 10 months into it, I can tell you that you will be an awesome mom!

P.S. I was worried too about the fatigue thing, but somehow or another it went away. I think it is because I get too busy to remember about being tired.

AwkwardMoments said...

I am thinking of you and understand thes eanxiety - I am being devoured by anxiety and I hate hate hate it