Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sick

At first I thought maybe I was developing some new allergy, as one has already popped up that I never had before. But no, I believe I have caught a cold. Why is it that everything feels like a threat to your baby when you're pregnant? But logically I know that he'll be fine. He's been moving non-stop since yesterday. OK - maybe he stops for 10 minutes or even an hour here or there, but then he's moving with urgency shortly thereafter. Is this indicative of how he'll be? Oh no. Maybe he'll resemble his father in more than just looks.

Anyway, my question is: Is there anything I can do to ease the stuffed up nose, sore throat and such while I'm trying to sleep? It makes it pretty miserable, and my doctor is not in to call.

7 comments:

Michele said...

Have you looked into homeopathics, like the ones made by Boron? These were approved by our OB in the event of a cold or headache.

HereWeGoAJen said...

I have a list of pregnancy approved medications, if you want to call me. (I'll have to look for it though.) Otherwise try tea and honey! Let me know if you need a chicken soup delivery.

Barb said...

Thanks Michele and Jen. :)

Rebecca said...

yuck, so sorry. i remember getting an awful cold at 20 wks and the only thing i was "allowed" to do that helped was constantly suck on cough drops.

by the way my oldest son was a non-mover during pregnancy (seriously, he had me in conniptions several times and we were in for a few non-stress tests) and now he is the most insane active child. my littler one seemed to move all the time and he is pretty mellow. this may have been a first pregnancy/second pregnancy thing, but in my experience you cannot predict activity level on the outside from activity on the inside.

hope you feel better soon.

Barb said...

Very good to know Rebecca. :)

LitterOf2 said...

The only thing that provided momentary relief during my 2 three-week long pregnancy colds happened to be steam. I'd fill up the smallest bathroom in my house with nonstop steam, and sit in there for as long as I could take it. Then I'd go to sleep as SOON as I left the bathroom, and it helped just enough. Hope that works for you, too! You're doing great, mama.

Steph said...

Unfortunately a little bit of Tylenol and the occasional mentholated cough drop is all you get for the most part.
I am also sick right now and can't find any safe decongestants.
Also make sure the losenges are not herbal and don't have too much zinc.