Hey! Look at that! After my comment about "holding the fort," things start to happen. Ooooh wait. It's because I was relaxed! That's it! *evil snicker*
On that note, AF kinda sorta decided to show her face yesterday. **WARNING TMI ALERT** I had light red flow for about 2 hours, but since then it's not been normal in color, flow or consistency. **ALERT OVER** I know, that wasn't so bad, but some people are really sensitive about that stuff. I considered it Cycle Day 1 anyway since the very same thing happened to me last cycle (pre-lap), and it never did get any better. I had my cyst scan today to start the process, and RE and nurse didn't seem to think it was much to worry about, but they're checking my progesterone and E2 levels just to be sure. (no cysts either)
Due to my extreme paranoia about all things pregnancy related now (especially since this is my last try for a long time), I asked if we could possibly run the antibody panel... you know, for antiphospholipid antibodies and all that? The doctor said ok, but then I found out that since they want to run progesterone and E2 as well, that's NINETEEN TESTS. How many vials is that? Ten or so? It's just that when they did the PCOS panel a long time ago, it really hurt my arm to have so many vials drawn. I don't remember how many there were for that panel, but I think it was less than 10. And I have to do this fasting. Has anyone done this? Can you give me insight or tell me if it's not so bad? Any advice is appreciated! I know it seems like I'm being a baby; especially after everything I've done so far. It's just that I hate that horrible throbbing ache in the arm from a needle stuck in too long. Humor me please?
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I do not know exactly what was tested when I had my initial b/w done in early 2006 (because I was a newbie and didn't ask) but they took like 10 vials of blood that time. Also, when I just got my PCOS labs last month, they took around 7 or 8 vials. Both times they only stuck me once. I always get a nasty bruise from any kind of needle but it wasn't horrible. So, now I know I didn't answer your question very well but that's as good as I've got.
Tammygirl and AngelB over on the graduates board on FF had the APA tests ran and either of them could probably tell you. Also, I know Moon13 still lurks on the Femara board and she would know as well. Ooooo also I think Rebecca just got that b/w ran after her last m/c so you could ask her too... Maybe that is more helpful?
I , like yodamistress, did all this testing a few yrs ago.. I know at one point of time, they took 11 vials of blood ranging from difference sizes and we had to keep finding new veins because mine would blow out. Good luck to you getting the info you need
mine took ten as well.. I had four long vials and the rest were regular sized. I had a great lady doing my draw so it only took one prick and one vein.
BTW:
Thanks for stoppin by my blog and leaving a comment :D
My last lot of blood work required 7 vials and although it seemed daunting, it really was fine. I think it's actually all about the nurse who takes the blood. If they're good, you'll hardly notice. Unfortunately, we don't always get to choose, do we? Good luck!
I had 26 vials BUT I had the whole clotting panel and antibody panel test run at once. I ended up passing out when there was still one or two vials left to do. I had to come back and have them draw more blood. Yuck!
Can they do it in two smaller batches?
Ooops--wanted to add: it was just one needle stick. They just kept switching the vials at the end of the tube. So it wasn't that bad--just long.
Good luck! You'll be fine, I promise ;-)
I think I only had two for a basic antibody panel (and some other tests at other stages... it gets hazy), but when I had my second-opinion recurrent miscarriage workup I had twenty-three vials including antibodies, clotting, endocrine and genetic tests etc etc. Did them in two sittings - fasting bloods one day, non-fasting the next. It was fine. I lay down, kept a biscuit in my bag to eat after the fasting test (before standing up) and took myself out for a breakfast treat afterwards on both days. Mmm... cafe breakfast.
The throbbing sensations seem to depend more on where the needle goes in rather than the amount of blood, from my experience. Sometimes the nerve is just there, sometimes miles away. The twenty-three vials were better than some single-vial draws.
Bea
Wow, you are lucky Bea!! (not the 23 vials.. ;) The way you responded) Thanks for the advice! The nurse called and said we'll just do it at the doctor's office later with my wonderful phlebotomist and we'll take a break b/n what remains of the fasting stuff and have juice and food and then go on to the non-fasting stuff. That way I can feel better.
Post a Comment