Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Short Version

Hi everyone! You are all SO kind, helpful and comforting. I know I haven't been commenting much, but I have been reading. Even though this wasn't a huge procedure, coming on here and seeing your words of encouragement meant a lot to me.

Mom is currently occupied, so I have a few minutes to type out some of my thoughts. I am 99.9% ecstatic and relieved that I don't have to add endometriosis to my "ttc with pcos and hypothyroid" tagline. I'm also happy that I have that worry off my shoulders health-wise. For the other .1%, I'm mixed up over whether it was the right decision (though it is nice to know) and why I have some of the problems I do, and what the docs are going to think about this. But more about that after I have my consult.

As for the procedure itself, I feel like it couldn't have gone more smoothly. I had my pre-op work up the day before, and everything went well. Well - except for the one nurse who looked at my chart and clucked, "A hysterectomy?? You're so young!" There was a small explosion somewhere between my eyes as I goggled at her speechlessly. I was finally able to stammer, "a hyster-oscopy, not a hysterectomy." As a result I spent much of the night before dreaming of mistaken hysterectomies.

Despite our lack of sleep, we somehow managed to drag our butts to the hospital to check in by 5:30am. I was having lots of doubts by this time of course, but soldiered on. The whole team at the hospital were so kind and helpful. I couldn't believe how wonderfully I was treated.

They took me back first, did all my vital stats and then settled me in with my beautiful hospital issue and fresh warm blankets. I even had a little TV by my head! No one told me you get a TV! What did I watch? Animal Planet of course. I waited a while until the nurse came in and started my IV. It wasn't my idea of fun, but she did a great job of not hurting me and getting it on the first stick.

Next came the pastor. They had asked for my religious affiliation on my forms, and I gave it, assuming it was for the administration of last rights or something in case of the worst. (I know, so dramatic.) Anyway, it wasn't. It was so he could come in and pray for me. I felt a little like a fraud since I am sure there were people who needed his services in that hospital much more than I did. But he was very kind and comforting.

My anesthesiologist came in at this point, and he worked hard with me to make sure that I wouldn't have too much nausea and that I would get the correct amount of anesthesia. He was just so nice. They had allowed my husband back by this time.

Since I looked so calm (mostly I was dead tired), the anesthesiologist asked if I preferred to go back without the "happy drugs," as it could cause nausea as well. I agreed, and it was actually pretty neat to see the OR with non drug clouded eyes. I even got to ask questions as they were preparing. The Bio geek in me was so excited.

I don't remember anything after him telling me the anesthesia was going in. I woke up in the OR groggy and talking as much as my sore threat would allow of course. I asked to see the doctor and the nurse said I wouldn't remember him if he came in. HAH to her! I remember our conversation. (most of it anyway)

The RE talked to DH and told him everything looked great apart from that one cyst, and gave him photos. (Would it be appropriate to scan them here? If anyone has input on that, please comment.)

It took me a long time to be able to move without feeling dizzy and nauseated and to come completely out of the anesthesia. After that, it took me forever to produce enough urine to satisfy the recovery Nazis (actually very nice nurses). We didn't get to go home until 5pm!! Surgery was at 7:30 and took 39 minutes.

The gas wasn't bad at all for me. I would get bubbles of it every now and then that were a little intense, but I swear I was burping them out!! Is that possible?? I would feel it move up into my chest, and then I would burp! I have one small incision in my "ahem" hairline, and one that goes across and down the inside of my belly button. That one bled a bit afterwards, but is ok. They both burn some. My belly muscles are sore, and my left ovary twinges every now and then. My "girly bits" get some shooting spasms off and on, but that's ok too. I get stiff and walk a little like an old lady, but all in all it's not too bad. It was much worse when I fell off the horse last year. Oh, I also look about 4 mos pregnant. How's that for irony?

Well, I think that's all for now. I only needed to take one pain pill. I've used Tylenol mostly. I got off lucky with this light diagnosis and mild probing.

Come on. Did you actually believe me when I said it was the short version??

Off to enjoy my bday and my Mom. HUGS to all!

11 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

i have pics of a 3rd ovary found in the opening of my fal. tube while doing my lap - I have ALWAYS wanted to post them ... It's just so coo l looking. It looks just like an egg to me - color and all. I am glad things went well and you do not have endo.Happy Birthday to you

Anonymous said...

Yes, show the piccy! Piccys are good!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that everything is going well and that you are in such good spirits. Have a happy b-day! BTW, pics don't bother me, I tried to share mine with my friends, and they weren't all that excited about the idea. LOL

Prairie Girl said...

Happy Birthday!

I'd be interested to see your pics. I always find these types of things very interesting.

My eyes got huge as I read about your Pre-OP nurse saying hysterectomy. Not a word we want to even hear accidently mentioned!!

Good to hear you're not doing too bad, wishing you a speedy recovery! Happy birthday again!!! (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see the picture!!! Hope your birthday was sunny and bright.

Kristen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

I would love to see that ovary. Post pics, pleeeeeeease!

I'm so glad you got that hysterectomy thing straightened out. THAT could have been bad!

And I'm glad recovery is going well. Thinking of you! XOXO

Unknown said...

Barb,
I would really like to see the pics. I am so glad no endo!!! Good for you!
Brandy

Allison said...

I agree - I'm all for the pics! Glad to hear everything went well (and that you DIDN'T wind up with a hysterectomy!). Phew!

Hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Hilary (Maya Papaya) said...

I am so glad to hear everything went well!

Me said...

Glad to hear you DON'T have to add endo to the tag line! ;-)

Heather said...

Post the picture!!! And....I was so shocked that they sent a pastor in! I would have freaked out for sure if it were me. :-)

Glad you're getting back in the swing of things.