Monday, October 8, 2007

No More Pity Parties

A dear friend of mine just found out that her unborn baby girl has D.own's Sy.ndrome. I've been feeling for a while that I throw just a few too many pity parties for myself when so many other people have their own individual issues.. each unique and challenging as the last.

This is the beginning of a new chapter for me. I will be supportive of all my friends and family. I will be optimistic and hopeful with a healthy dash of realism, and I will strive to not be the "assvisor" to any more of my loved ones than I already have. I will be grateful for all my gifts, while acknowledging my trials and shortcomings. I hope this makes it easier on those around me dealing with their own issues. I can't pretend I won't have my weak moments, but I can swear to do my best.

And to our friends, we love you and support you unconditionally. Lean on us any time.

5 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

oh wow .... gosh ..thinking of your friend

Mirabel's Parents said...

i can't even imagine...

i'm glad to see you up and about.

Unknown said...

Please, Please, Please have your friend email me! Please! juliargray@gmail.com

Hilary (Maya Papaya) said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

But truly, an inspiring post! I love having those moments of clarity.

Anonymous said...

I will be the first to congratulate your friend! My daughter with DS, age 7, has been my greatest blessing. She has absooutely transformed our life and the lives of our family, friends, and community. I know that is hard to see for people who have not been touched by a child with DS. Every child is a miracle, extra chromosome or not. Tell your friend to visit:
www,gigisplayhouse.org
www.benotafraid.net
www.ndss.org