Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Consult


So here is one of the photos from my lap. DH got it slightly wrong when he told me about the cyst. It was actually attached to the end of my tube. RE thought that it probably wasn't hurting anything, but that it could only help to remove it since it was pulling my tube down a little. The cyst is the little round thing on the bottom left. (I know. Quite the technical terms here.)

RE reiterated that it all looked good in there. He says that no one is positive why women with hormonal disturbances can have such painful menstruation without endometriosis. He says they think it's that prostoglandins build up in the walls of your uterus and cause pain during the necrosis of the endometrial tissue. Yeah. I don't completely get it either, but I understand it means that hormones cause it. He also confirmed that I'm healing nicely (albeit with a pretty yellow and purple bruise around my belly button.)

We talked about next steps, and RE suggested that we may want to think about injectibles/trigger/iui for the next round. I had been thinking about that too, but I think I'd like to give Femara/trigger/iui one more try. We've only done it twice, and the first time did result in a bfp even though it didn't last. I've produced 2 mature follies each of the 3 times I've taken Femara (letrazole), so I think I respond pretty well. He was also at a loss as to why we weren't successfully pregnant yet despite the lack of any other factors. Because of this, he'd like to try me on a low dose of glucophage. I'm very leery of that drug because I don't want the side effects! haha. But I will do what I have to to achieve our goal.

My head is already swimming with ideas for how to maintain a healthy diet that will best achieve our pregnancy goal. I can't stand all this juggling! It seems like EVERYTHING is off limits! Because I'm so overwhelmed, I've decided to go back to basics and cut out the sugar, refined (and most complex) carbs, and preservatives. I'm also still going to try to buy organic when possible. RE also told me to stop eating so much flax because it has estrogen qualities that can halt ovulation. Great. NOW he tells me. It's been in the record that HE wrote from my first consult that I take a flax seed oil caplet every day, but he waits until NOW to tell me not to take it! Geez. Thanks.

Overall though, everything is looking good. RE thinks there's no reason to think we won't achieve our goal without IVF, which is good considering we are not going to do IVF. I'm also very happy with his surgical skills, as the main scar is all INSIDE my belly button and hardly visible at all. The other one is so little and so low that no one will ever see it. :)

I hope we're making all the right decisions. It seems like the right one for me, but I always second guess when I decide to not do something that's more aggressive. (ie the injectibles). So I start progesterone in a week to bring on AF and then the craziness starts all over again!



5 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

there are no right/wrong decisions in treatments ..pick whatever you are most comfortable with and move when you feel you need to. as for glucophage, I was one of the lucky ones i guess, I didn't have any real horror stories attached to that drug ..good luck to yo u.. FANTASTIC PIC .. i'm insprired, i think Ill scan mine in for ya

Barb said...

Thanks! I'll be looking for the photo post! Any tips on glucophage, please feel free!

Me said...

Gosh dang it! I'm trying to stay away from phytoestrogens. I didn't realize flax was one too! Drat! Drat! Drat! Now I'm back to square one on how to get my Omegas!

(Thanks so much for the heads up though - I learn something new every day!)

Barb said...

hahahaha. You can see why I was so frustrated. I thought I had stumbled on a great source of omegas!

Heather said...

Well, I must say...as far as cysts go, I think yours was very cute. Although unwanted. :-)