So I went to the clinical endocrinologist (CE) yesterday. That's different from the RE in that they treat all sorts of endocrine issues whether or not the person is trying to conceive. It was a nice office with nice people, but considering their multiple and dire warnings about what would happen if I were late, it took quite a long time to see the doctor. They were about an hour late.
Anywho, the doctor was very very nice, and very on top of treatment options and the newest research for pcos and hypothyroid. Despite RE's vague protests to the contrary, she confirmed that I did indeed have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. This further proves my hypothesis that my doctor has no idea who I am from one visit or question to the next. (He had said something like it wasn't Hashi's because your tsh has to be high for that and mine's low and other ramblings. btw.. mine is high) I'm SO jealous of all you who actually get to e-mail questions to your docs!!
The CE told me that there was nothing I could do to lower my antibodies, but that it only increased my risk of miscarriage by a little. Now, how much pcos raises the risk when added to the mix, I didn't ask. She's going to run another TSH/Free T-4 panel and a baseline ultrasound (though she thinks I don't really need it) in 2 wks. Then she'll reevaluate my treatment and see me again in 2 mos. I have to say, it's very reassuring to have someone who knows something about this problem taking care of me even after my ttc is over. I was very worried about that. And she seems to really treat the problem based on bloodwork AND symptoms. Unique idea, that.
Oh, and as far as the usage of glucophage to treat pcos, she agrees with RE in that they used to use it for every pcos patient, and it was the golden pill. However, she also agrees that the research now is a little murky as to how much it helps, and what the particulars are. I'm always so impressed with RE's interest in staying current, so it was nice to see that she agreed with him.
To learn more about the debate over "normal" TSH ranges, click here: The TSH Normal Range: Why is there Still Controversy?
O.prah also apparently "came out" about her thyroid problems recently. I didn't see the show, so have no idea whether I would have liked what she said or not. If anyone did and wants to weigh in, please leave some comments! I am glad of the increased awareness she brings however. The expert she had on that show has a very interesting website. Some of her mystical, "girls are repressed, so they get sick" stuff leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but her science based information is very interesting.
I'm almost as passionate about this information as I am about the complete infertility piece, so bless you if you had the patience to read this far. ;-)
In other news, I took my first Provera tonight! In about 3 weeks, we'll be on the way to a new IUI cycle! I'm both excited and completely freaked. The failures are really starting to kill me each time. I hope I don't go through the depression/anger phase I went through on the last cycle that didn't work.
I'm almost as passionate about this information as I am about the complete infertility piece, so bless you if you had the patience to read this far. ;-)
In other news, I took my first Provera tonight! In about 3 weeks, we'll be on the way to a new IUI cycle! I'm both excited and completely freaked. The failures are really starting to kill me each time. I hope I don't go through the depression/anger phase I went through on the last cycle that didn't work.
6 comments:
I have been VERY frustrated with trying to sort out the good things for TTC (and health overall) vs. the bad for a PCOS-er. I have been VERY frustrated by this. I am now delving into a human endocrinology textbook to try to find answers and am as confused as ever. I totally envy your doctor's visit - it sounds totally productive. I am thinking/wondering if I should considere going that route too?
Also, I am totally psyched about your next IUI. Even though I know I probably come off as Debbie Downer sometimes, I am a closet optimist and DO have renewed hope each cycle - for me and my friends. what will your protocol be?
Hey chica!
I completely and utterly get your frustration b/c I am there too. That's why I went back to basics and generalities. No "too much" of anything, and stay away from obviously bad stuff. It's easier for me at the moment.
Thanks for being psyched about my iui. haha. I am completely freaked b/c I am very hopeful and know that if it doesn't work I will probably plummet. Anwyay.. after I induce AF (ovulate? ME?? never), I'll do Femara CD3-7, then trigger when RE says so and do insem the next day. Pretty simple.
Keep your fingers crossed!
Great news, Barb! I'm so glad the visit went well. I have to wait until December 12th to see my CE. Thanks so much for the update - I've been wondering.
I didn't see the Oprah - I'm curious to hear about it.
Good luck with your upcoming IUI - I'm excited for you too!! Good stuff!
Hi there! Although I really don't understand the details (IUI, TTC, PCOS, I don't have a clue what it means... it's hard enough to understand medical stuff in Dutch..) I DO think about you guys a lot and Alex and I keep our fingers crossed for your next IUI. Lots of love from The Netherlands!!! Richtsje
Aw Richtsje. You're adorable. I'll explain some of the stuff to you in an email if you like. Thanks for the well wishes.
Thanks Allison!!
Hey! I'm glad you seem to be getting somewhere - I hope it all comes together for you!
I had my endo appt on Friday, and I haven't officially heard anything back yet. He did seem to blow off my concerns about how the medicine makes me feel, but he does seem concerned in keeping my levels consistent during this pregnancy, so I guess that's the important thing!
Post a Comment