Thanks for all the supportive comments! You guys rock! I felt much better today. This was the first day I didn't want to fall flat on my face after work in a loooooooooong time.
Quick question: We want to start buying a few disposable diapers. (We're going cloth, but want to have a few disposables on hand.) Does anyone have some good tips on ones that don't have the bleaching/dioxins etc in them and/or are somewhat environmentally friendly AND actually work well? (fewer leaks, that sort of thing)
I know, I know. I tempt fate, but we don't care anymore. We are enjoying this and preparing for this dammit. And if something goes wrong, well then some lucky person can have the loot I've built up.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Amen sister!
We are cloth diaper folks too but we wanted to have some disposies, just in case. 7th Generation brand has come highly recommended by other cloth parents, and that is what we've registered for.
We used disposables for the first month, and I highly recommend that. You'll be exhausted enough without having to do the extra laundry. (Later the laundry is really no big deal, but at the beginning just getting everyone fed and clothed is enough.)
I've used the Huggies Pure and Natural and the Seventh Generation. I liked the Huggies a little bit better, but both were fine. Neither worked well. I'd get more bigger diapers than newborn ones since we definitely had more problems with leaks when the diapers were smaller. (I bought one size bigger than I thought I ought to and they leaked a lot less.) And you can use a diaper cover (I used a BumGenius with no insert) to catch any leaks that do happen.
I did disposables for 2 months and while I am not sure how eco awesome they are I LOVED pampers sensitive swaddlers.
The best feature is that it has a line on the front that turns blue when things inside are wet. This was sooooo helpful when I just had no concept of when to change him. and some dipes are so great at keeping baby dry that the "stick your finger in and fell" tests don't work
Glad you're feeling a bit better! Our future plan is to start with disposables and then move to cloth. I've heard that Seventh Generation is pretty good. I'm in the process of changing my cleaning products to that brand as well.
Sorry I don't know about the diapers but have you joined the Publix baby club yet? You'll get a ton of coupons on all kinds of baby stuff when you do.
We also used Pampers sensitive swaddlers and really liked them. Now we just buy whatever is on sale and/or we have a coupon for!
I used pampers sensitive for a while until I realized they are pretty much loaded with chemicals and were the cause of our diaper rash. I just tried the huggies - they didn;t leak - but still must have chemicals in them because my son's butt was rashy and red in 30 mins of being in a clean/new diaper. I have never tried the 7th generation.
I have pretty much decided that disposables are all loaded with toxins. My son's bun was the test.
Sorry I wasn't very helpful at all
You need gDiapers! They are the perfect hybrid between cloth and disposable.
The disposable inserts are FLUSHABLE, compostable, and biodegradable. No landfill required! Additionally, there are no chemicals, bleach or other yucky things in them so babies stay dry and comfortable.
You'll absolutely love them.
AND gDiapers just came out with a new cloth option - a gCloth as they call it - so you can have two diaper options now - a flushable and a cloth insert under the same adorable diaper cover.
If you're not familiar with gDiapers, check out the website and get obsessed... www.gdiapers.com
I am a gMum and because of this, I get access to great website promo codes. If you're interested, gDiapers is offering their 6-pack of "everyday g's" for $40 with my promo code: g1069Detwiller. Discount taken at checkout.
Despite this long diatribe about gDiapers, believe it or not I don't work for the company. I'm just a gMum spreading the word. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about dDiapers. I'm at hilaryd23 at mac dot com.
Cheers :)
Oh and PS - unfortunately the 6-pack promo code expires July 31st so if you're interested, you should purchase soon.
:)
Post a Comment