Thursday, July 23, 2009

Books Again

I've finished a few more books.

Tithe was an interesting fairy tale for (presumably) teens that mixes modern day grit and obscenity with fairy tale beings. Though in this book, fairy tale beings are not always all they're cracked up to be. I found it dark and not as well written as it could have been, but intriguing all the same. I often found myself startled that this book was marketed as "young adult." It was different than most things I've read though, and I appreciate that. I hear the other books in the trilogy are better than the first, so I'm eager to read them for myself.

Inkdeath is the third book in the "Inkheart" trilogy. I immensely enjoyed the first book. The second book was somewhat dark near the end for me, but still kept the magic alive somewhat. This third book, I have to say didn't do as much for me. I felt like it took a very long time for the author to start establishing her main plot and build up. It seemed like I read (and skimmed I confess) through about 200 pages of bountiful narrative on the hopelessness of the situation in the story. The imagery was vivid in all its bloody glory, that's for sure. I just don't think she needed quite so much.
Then when the plot did start chugging along, there were so many upsurges, falls and twists that I felt like I was losing the story. I was still invested near the end and even had the heart pounding excitement I had with the other two. All in all though, I was disappointed.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I hadn't heard of the Inheart trilogy - I will have to look it up.

Thanks!

HereWeGoAJen said...

I haven't read those. I'm intrigued.