Thursday, July 16, 2009

Boring Pregnancy Update

Yup - the title says it all. Sorry folks. To be honest though, I'm kind of glad to be boring. It's much better than some alternative excitement I could think of. Project, "finally finish the house so we have room for baby" is coming along quite well. Not a day goes by that I don't thank the good heavens that Hub got that raise when he did. Without it, we would be hard pressed to make these improvements, and our lives would be much more difficult. Hub also has a little more time now, so we're making more inroads on the big furniture moving and general house upkeep - which brings me to another point...

I thought the second trimester was supposed to be chock full of energy! At least, that's what the books say. I am decidedly NOT energetic. In fact, I'm exhausted much of the time. It's not so bad when I'm not working and can have a midday nap. Working wears me the hell out though. By the end of my work day, it's all I can do to drag myself to the car and make it home without collapsing into unconsciousness. I suppose the Florida summer heat may have something to do with it as well. Am I the only one not noticing much energy at this point?

The belly is growing by leaps and bounds. The books say that this is the time of most rapid growth. I can definitely attest to that. I feel the most stretched that I have, things are tender, and it seems you can see more belly every day. It's kinda cool. And in fact, I kept it to myself for a while, but I'm pretty sure I felt the baby the same morning that we heard the heartbeat. I was lying in bed, half asleep after hitting the snooze button. I was on my back and very still when I felt what seemed to be the faintest touch imaginable from the inside of my uterus area. It was as if someone ran three fingers in quick succession very lightly across my insides. I completely didn't expect the shock. I guess I should have. It's just like if someone you didn't know was there touches your shoulder. It makes you start a bit. This did that too. I then spent a minute questioning myself before yelling at Hub to wake up so I could tell him. He figured the kid wanted me to get up to go to our appointment.

And for those people who tell others it's probably gas bubbles? I can tell you that this felt the farthest from gas bubbles of anything I've ever experienced. In fact, it felt like nothing I've ever experienced period. Thanks for the reassurance little one.

As for that Gatorade thing - it is working quite well! The doctor recommended at least 32 oz a day. And guess what? I don't have nearly the amount of dizzy spells I have before! And even better yet, water no longer makes me want to yak! HURRAY! This is quite important in summertime Florida, I assure you. I urge any of you experiencing lots of dizziness and difficulty keeping fluids in (especially after morning sickness has ended as mine had) to ask your doctor about it. Man it's made such a difference. And he recommended Gatorade in particular because it has glucose and electrolytes. Remember that.. not just sucrose and electrolytes, or electrolytes alone.
This has been your PSA for the week.

17 comments:

Me said...

I'm more of a fan of Vitamin Water - I try to avoid the High Fructose Corn Syrup as much as possible.

Barb said...

I usually do too, but vitamin water doesn't have enough electrolytes. On top of it, it's very difficult to find a drink with glucose (not sucrose) that doesn't have the corn syrup. Some of the gatorades aren't s bad. (i drink the Rain). My food convictions have slipped more than I ever thought possible as the ways to feeling good and the ability to handle certain foods have become more difficult.

Steph said...

Right now i am on Honest Kids juice packs, which are like water with a tiny splash of juice in it(and some cane juice).
I swear I don't normally drink stuff meant for three year olds. They were left over from camping.

Perhaps you need to post weekly belly shots now. ;)

HereWeGoAJen said...

Go, baby!

Yeah, Elizabeth felt like teeny fingers poking me.

seussgirl said...

I have also been waiting for my energy to return (I'm at 29 weeks); I have glimpses of it here and there, but I still nap most days. :)
Go project house, go!

Barb said...

I drink stuff meant for 3 yr olds WB! That juice is GOOD! haha. I was thinking that about photos too. I think after week 16 we'll start with every week.

Cool Jen. :)

SG - We can be sleepy sisters then. ;-)

Michele said...

so glad things are going so well!!!

Michelle said...

Well I am happy that you have a boring pregnancy update. I hope things continue to move along just beautifully!

KayBee said...

I think that book must be written by someone who was never pregnant. I never felt energized (but then again... you know :) Gatorade is awesome. I like the Melon Rain one. At least high fructose corn syrup is natural and not some manufactured chemical! I'm glad it's working for you.

Christina said...

The 2nd trimester energy thing is a total myth! I'm 24 weeks and still a lazy bum, I'm just sooo tired! Maybe we can just both blame it on the FL heat though!

Kristin said...

I thought the first movements felt more like butterfly wings...so cool!

Mommy Shoes said...

I never got that energy the books talked about. I was pretty much tired the whole time. I figure it was because my kid was so huge he was sucking it out of me. :)

Jen said...

I swear pregnancy books use the whole 2nd trimester energy burst lie to get your through 1st tri. Maybe some people get it, but me, it seemed like I went to bed at 7pm for 9 months straight.

Barb said...

haha. THANKS GIRLS! I can always count on you for support. :)

Kristin - yeah.. my Mom said that too, but for me, it was just a tiny bit too firm and deliberate. It was weird, but cool. :)

Malloryn said...

Wow, what a cool sensation that must have been! It gives a whole new meaning to internal alarm clock :)

Thank you so much for your sweet message on my blog. I appreciate it!

Chelle said...

I found I was tired and exhausted throughout my whole pregnancy. There was never a point where I didn't need a mid-day nap.

I'm glad things are going so well and that you got to feel your little one move. Isn't that first noticeable movement the most beautiful thing ever? Just wait until you can watch the movement. :)

Jamie said...

I'm glad to hear Gatorade has made the difference! Gatorade is some good stuff.

Yes - boring pregnancy updates are all we want to hear!