When we were at the doctor's office yesterday, he surprised us by saying he could not condone the use of 3-D ultrasounds for pleasure and would not perform one. That actually shocked me because I had not yet heard of any controversy surrounding the practice. After all, most of my friends and family have 3-D photos of their babies in utero. And the photos are astonishingly detailed. We could tell my nephew had his Mom's nose before he was born.
This seemed to be a hot button topic for my usually cheery doctor, so I asked him about it. He explained that the frequency is different for the 3-D's and that there could be some evidence to show that it can cause certain side effects that aren't worth the risk unless there's a medical need to see such detail.
At first I was sure I still wanted the ultrasound. I've been dreaming of seeing my beautiful baby in such detail for a long time. But then reason prevailed, and I started doing research on the topic. I couldn't find a lot of information, but here is a very informative article that might change my mind. Has anyone else heard this? If you or loved ones were in the situation, what did you decide to do?
Friday, July 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Oh great! Now that I've read this article I'm find of freaked out by the thought. I'd probably still do it, but try to limit it to only necessary.
I read a similar article and our OB, although he's not a fan of "for pleasure" u/s's showed us the other side too. There are doctors on both sides of the fence; some say there "may" be issues, others say there are none. His comment was that, while he doesnt love the idea and thinks they are money makers for the labs, for the amount of time that you are having it done, unless you went crazy Tom Cruise and did them every hour of every day, there isnt enough risk posed IF there is such a risk. He also noted that some OBs use them in their routine scans. His office just cant afford to add another u/s when the one they have works well.
We're having one at the end of August. The research I've read doesnt add up to a problem. And I'm quite the hippy in most things.
My OB doesn't do the 3D ultrasounds. My insurance doesn't cover them either so I'm not getting one. Mostly my reason for not getting one is that I don't want to spend the money on it.
I have never heard of that. It is interesting. I might reconsider.
I cannot imagine that such a short time using it will pose much risk.
With all the crap I see pregnant women putting in their bodies every day, I think the 3d u/s is the least of people's worries.
If I were offered one, I think I would still get it.
My OB referred us to a perinatologist for the 18 week ultrasound(even before the AFP came back positive), the the perinatologist performed the 3D u/s as part of his routine scans. I never even had to ask, and my insurance paid for them. They only do the 3D's for a minute or two, and I believe if there is any risk, it is minimal. I would do it again if I got pregnant again.
I find that very intersting - last night my husband and I started watching the movie "In the Womd" by National geogrpahic and they specifically say there is no evidence to support that its bad for the baby nor a 4D ultrasound?
Im not sure....
That is very interesting - I wasn't aware there was a controversy at all.
When I had the u/s for my triple screen, the tech would flip the view to 4D when she had a good profile or face shot and print me a picture out. I have a couple of 4D pics and the 12 week one I love but the 18 week pics I thought were really creepy. I decided then I would just wait until he got here!
I hadn't heard any of that before, but it all seems a little hokey to me. What about the women who have high risk pregnancies and get ultrasounds every two weeks to check on their babie's progress. Those babies turn out just fine. And does the fetus know a medically necessary untrasound from one being performed just for fun? I am not a proponent of getting your ultrasounds done in the mall. I believe they should only be performed by doctors and licensed technicians, but I doubt that any risk to the baby is anything more than negligable. I also don't think they should be performed for hours on end. Peaking at your baby for a few minutes on a 3D scan certainly can't retard your child that much, and if it does, it seems to me like there were already issues with the fetus. I think you just have your right wing and your left wing folks, and what it comes down to is what does most of the research point to? Safe, negligable, or risky.
I had the 3D scan done and I loved every second of it. My daughter is fine and hitting her milestones the way she should. It all comes down to what you feel safe and comfortable doing.
Here via "Down That Dirt Road".
I have not heard of any of this about the 3D ultrasound, and it really makes you pause to think. I think a lot of the concern comes from many aspects- Dr's are SET in their ways ie "A regular ultrasound does just fine, 3Ds are'nt needed.
I know my mother has told me stories of how when ultrasound first started getting used decades ago- many older generation OB/GYNs said they frequency of the sound waves would permanantly injury children, cause developmental delays, etc. Obviously there is nothing conclusive about THAT.
Many ob/gyns think it is a money maker, and get put off on that.
My husband (who is neurologist) said that the risk is minimal- no more than any other ultrasound. Just as long as you don't go to a place that couldn't recognize a problem if there was one, or go every other week for curiosity.
phew. That is just may personal take on it.:)
Good luck!!
www.ttc-wildride.blogspot.com
Interesting. We only did the 3-D ultrasound when it became clear that Matt's grandmother wouldn't make it to our due date. (She died the day after we sent her a picture.)
My doctor's office had no problem with the 3-D ultrasounds and even offered them in the office.
I think that there is so many things that are controversial as harmful and hte term harmful itself is over-used and lucrative. I had 1 or 2 3-d u/s and I will do it again. I have read a few articles like that while pregnant with MT and a few this time around too - There are so many variables and unknowns. Do what you feel like you want to do - No regrets,
Post a Comment