Sunday, June 1, 2008

Vacation Rambling

Mel's recent post about vacations got me thinking more about our own impending (VERY SOON!) trip. I've been so distracted by family problems and logistics that I hadn't even gotten excited about the idea yet that we are going to Europe for the first time ever. It almost seems like a dream to me. I come from a small, rural, poverty riddled town and from a very lower class upbringing. I was lucky I went to college. It's almost absurd to think that I've lived in different states, traveled to the Caribbean and married a Canadian. Now I'm going to add Europe to the list? I always thought I'd go sometime, but the economy being what it's been, we've been wondering when. Now the time is nigh.

Our vacation style is definitely what I'd call "adventure-driven." We generally call our vacations "adventures" and try to immerse ourselves in whatever culture we've been plopped into by exploring everything and anything exciting to us. There was a lot of discussion amongst family and between the Hub and I over what is happening with my Aunt and how it will affect our decision to take this trip. All involved expect that we should go. It bothers me to think that it may seem like I'm preferring a trip to my Aunt, but her condition has not changed, she is not awake, and I suspect that I suffer from a bit too much optimism that she'll recover. I'm afraid to act as if she won't and cancel the trip to be there in case it makes the worst happen. You know what I mean? It's that same crazy reasoning that has led me to believe in the past that I could have prevented my early miscarriage. You are all familiar with it I'm sure.

But we will go on the trip and see our dear friends unite in marriage. They seem so wonderful together that I cannot wait to see their vows of commitment. I'm sure it will be beautiful. There's also the fact that they're getting married in a castle. That doesn't hurt a bit. We will hope that our optimism about my Aunt will prove helpful even though I know that's silly. I will be going up there soon, and I would love to see her and tell her to get well myself.

We leave this week. I've been hesitant to say where we're going what with my attempted quasi-anonymity and all, but eff it. We fly into Germany first, and will spend time with my Dad there. Then we'll travel to the Netherlands, and then back to Germany before heading home. I will be taking lots of photos.

xoxo
FCiF

12 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

i hope you have a BLAST!

HereWeGoAJen said...

I cannot wait to hear all about it! I haven't been to Europe in ages. We tried to go a couple of years ago, but the timing didn't work out.

Jen said...

I've never been to Europe, so I'm insanely jealous. But you guys definitely deserve the break. I can't wait to see all the vacation pics!

Jamie said...

I hope you have a wonderful trip! I know it is hard to think about your trip when your aunt is sick. But from the stories you have told of her, she would be angry if you gave up your first opportunity to see Europe.

Hubby & I went to Italy for our honeymoon and it was our first trip out of the country. We didn't do a tour group or anything, we just bought a book, a couple of backpacks and winged it. It was wonderful!!

Victoria said...

Exciting I'm eager to see the pictures. I've never ben to the Netherlands but have a dear friend who has lived there two different times and come to love that country. I've spent some time in France, but no where else in Europe yet, but hope to get back. Glorious adventure to you!

Heather said...

Have a fabulous time!!

Kathy V said...

I am sure you and your husband will have a great time on your adventure. It should be fun and I can't wait to see the pictures.

Malloryn said...

I hope you have a great vacation! I was fortunate enough to visit Germany a few times when I was younger (family trips), and I'd love to go back with the DH. We are "adventure vacation" people as well -- our honeymoon was in Banff, Alberta :)

Christina said...

Hope you have a fun in Europe. I went to Sweden last year (and going again in August) and the castles are amazing! (by the way I'm one of the FL bloggers that wasn't able to make it to the meeting you had with Jen)

Mirabel's Parents said...

i'm so glad your trip is finally here!!! you have been planning for so long! and i agree with others, your aunt would certainly want you to go. i'm so sorry she is so sick.

can't wait to hear about the trip and see all of the pix!

JW Moxie said...

Have a FABULOUS vacation! I haven't been to Germany (or Europe in general) since my family was stationed there when I was a kid. I'll also keep your aunt in my thoughts and prayers.

Chelle said...

I'm sorry to hear that your aunt isn't doing any better. I completely understand what you mean about jinxing things though. I am always afraid of the same thing, so I don't share news with people unless its definite.

Go pack your bags and get ready to go to Europe. Whatever happens with your aunt is what would happen no matter what. Be sure to snag a few Kinder Eggs in Germany. Yummy chocolate AND a toy!