Thursday, May 29, 2008

The need to talk about it

My Aunt is not doing well. I only get updates third hand because she lives in my family's home far from here. But basically the doctors don't really know for sure other than to say that it's not good. She's currently in a coma. I think we're supposed to learn more tonight. My heart is very heavy with the fact that we could lose her. I was going to see her again in July. She's such a vibrant, integral part of our family, and she's only in her late 60's. How can this happen? What is so awful is that her heart has stabilized. Complications after the heart attack are what's killing her. It's all just so maddening.

Much of the family is convinced that she can fight through this. She's nothing if not a fighter. I'm trying to hold onto that flicker of hope. My cousin (her daughter) told this story from the night of the attack to illustrate her iron will:

Aunt had been having pain for a while before finally telling her daughter to call the ambulance. As the ambulance was on its way, Aunt began having difficulty breathing, and the pain was so intense she could barely talk.

Uncle dashed into the bedroom to change his shirt. He walked into Aunt's view as he was buttoning it. Aunt took one look at him and said between strained breaths, "Hon... you're... buttoning it....... wrong."

Uncle obediently began re-buttoning his shirt right up to the tippy top button around the neckline. Aunt rolled her eyes toward him again and grunted, "Leave... the top... one... open. It looks.... stupid."

That is so Aunt to do that everyone who heard the story had to chuckle at her cheek. She is always last on her list of worries and so in charge and conscious of what's going on around her. She's also full of plain, down home style piss and vinegar in addition to her warmth and kindness. I'm trying to think about all that positive stuff until we know more.

10 comments:

Mrs. Shoes said...

She sounds like such a great person. Continuing to pray for her, you, and your whole family.

AwkwardMoments said...

She sounds like my great grandmother - down home piss and vinegar. Those are true fighting women. Saying prayers for your family

Kathy V said...

I am very sorry that your aunt is not doing well. She seems so feisty. Hope everything turns out ok in the end.

(updated pics up on the blog.)

Victoria said...

Blessings to your family and your aunt.

Jen said...

Oh Barb, I'm so very sorry. Of course you know I've been there with both my mom and then my grandmother. I remember that feeling of helplessness and that roller coaster of emotion when my mom was in the ICU. She's better. She's worse. She's better. She's worse. I remember not wanting to answer the phone for fear of bad news. And getting it third hand only makes that roller coaster even worse.

Malloryn said...

Your Aunt is in my thoughts. She sounds like an amazing woman and a real fighter.

Barb said...

Thanks everyone. I feel just like that Jen. I don't want to answer my phone or talk to my Mom because she gets all the direct info from our cousins. It scares me, and it feels like it's just a matter of time. I want to live in my happy little world where she's going to get better. sigh

HereWeGoAJen said...

I told you how optimistic I am and I believe that she will get better. I will pray for you and her and keep all my fingers crossed. Let me know if there is anything I can do. (I'll be right by you tomorrow night to pick up my brother-in-law at the airport.)

The shirt story made me laugh. :)

Jamie said...

I am so sorry for what your family is going through. She sounds like a fighter!! Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers . . .

Chelle said...

I am sorry to hear that your aunt is not doing better. I really was hoping you would have better news today. I hpoe she continues to rally and eventually comes back to you and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Much love and hugs.