Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sidetracked

Soooo - I had intended to hash out the whole reproductive status angst today. However, I think I've made my engrossing addiction to the written word pretty clear, and that obsession has turned to something other than my blog right now. This makes it pretty impossible to write on such a serious, introspective topic.

My new obsession is the book, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Yes, yes, those of you in the know, scoff if you want. The main characters are teenagers. It's mainly a love story. It's fluff. blah blah blah. Despite all those things, I am absolutely intrigued, and I have not been completely intrigued and at ease with a book in a long time. I am completely enjoying it. I was in the middle of re-reading the Narnia books when a friend lent me her book, and I immediately forgot about The Silver Chair. I have most recently been reading non-fiction, and even when I turned to fiction, the last thing I finished was the His Dark Materials trilogy. If you haven't read them, they are not exactly the easy-reading, feel good books of the year. So I am happy to be so occupied.

The reading material I choose has to meet one (sometimes more) of the following criteria:
1. Does it make me happy? (if it doesn't, it has to meet #2)
2. Does it help me understand something or cause some revelations?
3. Do I like the characters or subject?
4. Are the words crafted in a skillful way? (of utmost importance)
5. Can I lose myself in it? (if not, again with the #2)

I really don't bother myself with whether it's something I should like, or if it's a classic or not. I either like it, or don't. It's simple. For example, I can appreciate that I probably learned a thing or two from reading Moby Dick. And I can even recognize the brilliance behind the writing. However, it falls so far from meeting criteria number 1, 3 and 5 that I refuse to ever read it again and read it as quickly as possible when it was required. The same thing goes for Shakespeare's tragedies. I do, however, enjoy his comedies. Then again, the Red Badge of Courage and the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass so fulfilled numbers 2, 3 and 4, that it didn't matter that they didn't make me "feel good." All this is coming from a girl who read Jenna Jameson's book and was fascinated by it. So there you have it. I guess the point here is that you can never quite predict what I will like, and that I really don't have a lot of qualms about reading just about anything unless it doesn't meet one of my criteria in a really significant way.

I wrote all that just to say that I'm enraptured by Twilight,** and that might make it a little difficult for me to post on serious subjects until I can get that story out of my head.


**Then again, I also adore Jane Austen and some other romance type books.

9 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

I like books to be like my movies - Captivating and ALlowing me to fall in love with a character or two

Barb said...

EXACTLY! And for that to happen, there had to be SOME skill involved in the process. :) (esp since I'm a picky bitch. ;-)

HereWeGoAJen said...

Good list of criteria. That's very similar to my list. :)

Jamie said...

My number one critera - it has to be entertaining!

I read a lot but haven't read anything I got really excited about. Don't get me wrong - I have liked the books I read, but they didn't ignite that passion. Last week I picked up "The Other Boelyn Girl" at Barnes & Noble and didn't put it down again until I finished it! It was so refreshing to go beyond just 'enjoying' what I was reading.

Victoria said...

I am word and reading obsessed too, and like your criteria and the way you apply them. They really would work for me too. Right now I'm obsessed with Orson Scott Card - in the middle of the Alvin Maker alternative histories. They meet all of your criteria for me. The other author who has blown me away this year is Geraldine Brooks.

Malloryn said...

I love reading as well, though now that I don't take the train to work I don't get through as many books as I'd like.

I re-read the His Dark Materials trilogy a few months ago, before the movie version of the first book came out. I agree 100% that they aren't an easy read, but they entertained me.

I think your list of criteria is great. I recall seeing "Good Omens" on your blog a while back... that happens to be one of my favorite books. I've enjoyed reading other books by Terry Prachett and Neil Gaiman.

A book that I never fail to lose myself in is "Tigana" by Guy Gavriel Kay. His books are beautifully written, and I've come to love many of the characters. I might be due to pick it up again... it would be my fourth read.

Barb said...

Thanks Jen. It's good we have something in common. :)

Interesting Jamie. I'll have to give that book the once over sometime.

seastar - LOOOOOOOOOVE O.S. Card. I've never read the Alvin Maker series, but my cousin has and adores them. I've read the Ender series a bijillion times though. I didn't like the later ones as much, but Ender's Game is one of my all time FAVORITE books. Hands down. I also liked his take on the Sleeping Beauty story. I've never read Brooks. I'll have to keep my eye open.

Malloryn - Yeah.. I did the whole Shelfari thing for about a minute. haha. I really liked it, but it was just one more thing to attend to. I decided I'd just say on my blog what I was reading. :) Good Omens was really really cool. Loved it. Neil Gaiman is a genius. As far as me ENJOYING everything he writes... well that's hit or miss b/c I don't enjoy sad or scary all that much most of the time. But I am in awe of his talent. American Gods was just so different and fascinating to read. I've never read any other Terry Pratchett. I should be smacked. I know. :)

I do believe DH HAS Tigana, and I have never read it. I keep looking at it and thinking it looks lovely, and then never opening it. DH has an iffy relationship with that author, so he never helped to spark the interest in me either.

Victoria said...

Barb - I haven't read all the Ender books but expect to. I'm impressed by the ones I've read, especiallyy Ender's Game I think Card deals with issues of empathy and intellect, kindness and relationship superbly whatever world context he writes in. - On a side note I glanced at the exerpt of Twilight on Amazon and I was surprised that it happens in Forks on the Olympic Penninsula. I love that part of the country and have been to Forks.

Barb said...

I agree seastar. And very cool about Forks. I didn't even know if it was a real place! :)