Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Kindness Abounds

It's amazing how kindness can come out of the woodwork when we least expect it. Despite my current wallow in depression, I've been uplifted by many people this past week. First of all, DearNurse left a message on my cell saying how she's been thinking about me and my situation. She went on to talk about various ways I could save money on the meds, and told me that she sent out the adoption info that I had been asking about. I really couldn't do this without such wonderful office and nursing staff, and I told them so last visit.

Next, I got a very uplifting note in the mail from a co-worker who I look up to a great deal. It addressed some of my work concerns and assured me that I am doing the good job that I had thought (and hoped) despite the fact that management doesn't notice.

And to top it off, I recently left a message board that I had been on for almost 2 years. As I was leaving, someone really came out of the woodwork to tell me that I had had a big impact on her and that she thought highly of my character. That one came out of left field for me and left me glowing all day. I always see myself as a quiet supporter; not very noticeable, not very popular, and not too interesting. She, on the other hand, seems vivacious, funny and sharp; always popular, lots of fun and full of confidence. These are traits to which I aspire. However, she helped me see the good in my own character and for that I am very grateful.

There have been so many more instances of great kindness lately that my faith in human good has been strengthened. Thank you all for that. I definitely needed a dose of faith. I also want to pay it forward. So I'm choosing one person to honor for the good in their own nature. There are so many I would like to recognize, but I don't want to lessen the impact. I'll leave it up to you good people. Pick someone who needs a lift; someone who may feel unnoticed, or someone who just inspires you (especially if you've never told them before) and dedicate a blurb or two to them on your blog. I just want others to get that wonderful rush of warmth.

So without further ado, I would like to tell Yodasmistress how much I admire her sassy self. You're fun, confident and bold on the surface, but beneath that seems to lurk a sensitive soul. Your depth of empathy for others is inspiring. And Yoda (I don't know if I'm allowed to use her real name. ;-) ), you are strong and good and kind. I know lately you haven't always felt that way and have questioned a lot, but these are strengths in your character that you need to know. You have the courage to stand up for the underdog and fight the good fight when I'm way too chicken. Keep on keepin on chick! And we'll support you. I thought you could use the lift with your lap coming up.

For others from whom I learn, just check out my blog roll. And for some of the women I've met outside of the blog world (Stephanie, L and K) thanks a ton!

5 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

Support is very important, its a wonder what a good, kind word, or smile can do to your spirts! You must attract the right kind of people in your life!!

Anonymous said...

That was such a sweet post. It's nice to know that bloggers and their readers are able to make a difference to each other. Keep up the good work.

Searching said...

Sounds like an awesome day! It's so sweet of your to tell people what they mean to you and just thanks for a job well done.

Me said...

Holy Crap! I was reading along thinking how you are too modest (especially with the comment about no too interesting - pshaw!) and then ... I see my name. B you are too kind. I'm sitting at work and I feel all sniffly. I just don't know what to say. I don't know how to tell you what your words mean to me. It really is amazing how one person appreciating you can totally make your day. Thank you for giving me that gift today. (sniffly turning to teary)

All my love! (And if we ever get back to FL on vaca you aren't going to be able to beat me off with a stick - I'm comin for ya!)

Barb said...

Yay! My job is complete! hehe. Now off you girls go and reward others! It feels great! :D

Yoda - I AM known for my stick beating. You'd best be careful! ;-}