Sunday, April 3, 2011

Perfect Moment Monday

See? You all reeled me in with your kindness on my last Perfect Moment Monday that wasn't even a real one! Miss Luz was so sweet to be so inclusive. So now I'm gettin' all official and stuff, but I warn you that I am not the most organized human on the planet and often lose track of such things.

Maybe I should just get on with it eh?

If you follow this blog with any regularity, you know that I and we as a family struggle with religion and how we wish to practice it in different ways. We struggle with finding a comfortable church home, with opinions that differ from those certain churches declare as "law," and with opinions that any of us are the "only" right ones.

Just recently, it seems we may have found a church at which both of us feel comfortable. The pastor is lovely. The congregation is small. The music is traditional and complex, and the welcome is warm and inclusive.

Today, I took communion there for the first time. In fact, I took it for the first time in years period. I never do such a thing lightly or because it's expected. I was nervous, but it was a surprisingly peaceful moment.

When I sat back down however, I watched as the pastor walked back down the aisle toward us. He stopped just short of us in front of an elderly woman with a cane. The back of her neck was papery smooth. Her head was bowed. He slowly repeated the words he'd just uttered for clusters of people at the altar. He placed the wafer in the woman's hands and so gently offered her the wine. His eyes never left hers. He knelt to her level. He touched her shoulder. And as he said, "Go in peace," his expression softened while his eyes seemed to deepen with care. Tears pricked my eyes, and I was at peace as well.

10 comments:

rebecca said...

that is great. if you dont mind me asking, what sort of church is it?

oh and i find it impossible not to disagree with a few things... for me i have just needed to find the differences that i can live with.

maresi said...

thrilled and happy for you that you had this experience.

Part of my duties as worship leader is that I assist the pastor in serving communion. I'm trying to remember each person's name so I can look them in the eye as they dip their wafer and give them a few personal words. Someone did that to me once and it meant a lot, so I try to do it for others.

Sheri said...

I'm visiting from writemindopenheart.com to check out your Perfect Moment.

This is a great Perfect Moment. I have struggled with finding a church that I can relate to, and raise my kids in, etc.

I gave up looking and haven't gone for a while...and as I read your PMM, I realized that I miss taking communion.

Oooh! And your explanation of the pastor bringing communion to the elderly lady was quite touching.

Thanks for sharing your Perfect Moment.

HereWeGoAJen said...

That is what we are looking for in a church too.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

What an exquisite moment to witness, the utter union between the pastor and this woman. I guess that's at the heart of communion, joining together into one body, and the ecstasy that can bring.

I'm glad you've found this place!

Pam @ The Journey Leads Home said...

Looking for a church home is such a difficult process. Moments like this shows the heart of the people. I pray the Lord leads you to the right place for your family.

I'm visiting from Lori's Perfect Moment Monday. I'm glad I stopped by. I just posted mine as well. Feel free to come by for a visit too.

Happy Monday!

Pam

Barb said...

Lutheran Rebecca. And I agree with you. Lately though it seems we've found a lot of places with a lot of things about we vehemently disagree.

Sounds lovely maresi! Thanks all!! I plan to visit asap!

Unknown said...

I think you've found your spiritual home. How sweet.

jjiraffe said...

How wonderful to find spiritual "home". I loved your writing when you described the way the pastor helped the older woman. What a beautiful moment.

Danifred said...

What a beautiful post. We also struggle with religion and while I want my girls to be part of a church, I just can't seem to find my place. It's wonderful to hear that you've found yours.