Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Issue

My issue is apparently generalized anxiety disorder. I haven't been back to the therapist in a few weeks because it's so hard to ask people to watch the baby. I feel like I had no idea what I was getting into with having him so far from most family or friends with children and both of us working full time. I really feel like I could get better more easily if I could just focus on this aspect of my life right now. Although to be fair, I didn't expect that my family down here would move 1000 miles away right after he was born.

This stuff is tough. I bought a book my therapist recommended and am going to try to work through it. I may post some things here to help me work it out just as we did with Unsung Lullabies. That helped me a lot, and I'm hoping it will help me this time as well. I have to admit that sometimes it feels like I'm climbing out of a slippery, crumbly hole bit by bit. It is getting better, but with lots of fall backs, and it's taking lots of time and very hard work. It's so difficult to get better when the very fact that I'm having issues and have had them for so long makes me feel guilty for being a "bad friend," and the negative self talk is such a vicious cycle.

7 comments:

Mommy Shoes said...

It's really, really hard to be raising a kid with no family help even with no other issues. I really struggle with this. I wish I was closer to help you. Plus, it would be warmer. Just do the best you can for you and your little man one day at a time.

HereWeGoAJen said...

It's hard. I mean, I've never left the baby with anyone other than a relative, and you know where all our relatives live, so you know how often I've left her. A support system is so important and it is really hard when there isn't one.

Miss you!

(Also, you aren't a bad friend.)

Barb said...

It would be warmer MS! Come on down! :) Heck, I'll even take you just having a winter house down here. ;-)

I know Jen. I really do think I'd do better if I worked less. Less juggling and less separation anxiety. Miss you lots too! More than you know. :)

Rebecca said...

This is why I stopped going to therapy even though I probably need it. Just impossible to find childcare. Why can't therapists have evening appointments; at least that way the dads could watch the babies?

You are doing the right thing by talking about it and working things through. I can relate to a lot of things that you say (the term "generalised anxiety disorder" has been used in the context of my issues by more than one doctor), and I agree that this type of anxiety feeds on itself -- like you said, if you don't work on it, it gets worse rather than stagnates. I'm sure you will find the work you are doing helpful. Too bad it's not instantaneous.

When you have the chance, I'd love to know what the book is you are working through.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

It is so hard to be far away from family or even fictive kin. And couple that with the fact that everything moves so quickly in the day, you can't keep up with work and parenting and housekeeping -- I think the anxiety is understandable. And I hope the book helps a lot.

Jamie said...

It can be a vicious cycle. But being aware of it is the first step to stopping it.

I look forward to reading your comments on the book! I'm sure there will be bits that will be useful to us all.

Hang in there sweetie.

Barb said...

Thanks ladies! Loves ya!