Friday, October 1, 2010

Termites???

Sooo... a few weeks ago I thought I found a termite. I did not keep said bug, but called Terminix for an inspection. They found nothing, but offered their protection service for $800. We waited because... well.. $800.

This past weekend I found another bug that looked to be a termite (a swarmer.) I called a different company. They came out and saw nothing, but this time I had kept the bug. The man said it had very termite characteristics, but was like no other termite he's ever seen around here. He also said it's the wrong time for swarmers, and that I should have seen 100's or 1000's of them, not 2. He saw nothing alarming around the house at all, but also recommended protection system for $700.

The first company would use Sentricon, the second - Termidor. I know it's probably a matter of time before termites find our house (concrete block, but plenty of wood here and there to keep them busy.) Please - hit me with the advice! From what could be happening termite wise, to whether we treat now or not, to which system to use, to which company is best. Oh, and our car died. No one knows what's wrong with it. Joy.

I know I can count on you internets!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

I refuse to spend money unless I have an actual problem. I'm cheap like that. LOL

HereWeGoAJen said...

SQUISH THEM! ACK!

Trin dog once had bugs swimming across her stomach that the vet had never heard of either. Florida is full of the insects.

Barb said...

In this case though, the actual problem would require tenting of your house for fumigation and also repairs and all of that would be 1000's, whereas this treatment would be much less... although I guess it's not really guaranteed to work. ugh.

Rebecca said...

I am quite certain that if you had actual termites, the termite companies would have fallen all over themselves to offer the super expensive treatment. There are innumerable unidentifiable bugs out there. We thought we might have termites, too, but a termite inspection revealed nothing.

And if you actually already *had* termites, I'm guessing the "protection" (prevention?) system wouldn't be very useful. So if it were me, I would do nothing. Very proactive, I know.