I keep reading that 50% of all babies and toddlers fall into the "easy" category. No wonder there is so much assvice, judgment and self congratulation out there about raising babies. One must feel pretty smug if he or she lands an "easy" (Yes note the quotations on purpose. None of them are really all THAT easy.) baby. In everything I read, E falls squarely into the "shy" or "slow to warm up" category, though the older he gets, the more "easy" traits he seems to acquire. His temperament endears him to me. We match each other. We "get" one another.
Shout out to all the dedicated Mommies and Daddies raising some of the more tricky babies: We're doing all right! Our children are who they are, and we make the most of it!
p.s. Have I mentioned that I love Harvey Karp?
p.p.s. That "Babies" documentary is ADORABLE and heart warming. I particularly loved the African family. That's more how I would like to raise E - with him all the time, letting him play outside constantly, etc.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I need to get that documentary!
I most certainly do not have an "easy" baby!! Though my husband disagrees, since she's not colicky. ;) People get lulled into thinking she's easy because they see how great she is with us... but hand her over to someone who doesn't know her likes and dislikes and OH BOY yeah no. She's a good baby, a happy baby, but easy she is not.
... and you know what's sad, I was talking to a friend of mine who has a friend who just had a baby 2 months ago. She was saying how the friend is at wit's end because the baby has to be held ALL THE TIME. She said friend has to eat with one hand on the baby, etc. But, oh, the baby sleeps in the crib fine. And I was like, HAHAHAHA, she thinks THAT'S hard? Ha.
Yeah, no wonder there are so many know it alls.
You would love it Nat!
I agree. From what you say she's not easy. We are the same. Other people think he's such a good natured, easy going baby when they see him with us... and he is. But that's with US, and that took a looong time to foster.
That's funny about that baby sleeping fine in the crib but wanting to be held. Yeah.. E sleep in a crib??? HA! He does it NOW. The nice thing is though that now that he's comfy here, he sleeps BETTER in the crib than anywhere else. But he doesn't sleep well in other cribs or anything. It took a long time to get him used to his daycare, and he's still better with us than there. We never want to lose her!
I can't wait to see that documentary. It looks so cute, especially the part where the goat drinks out of the baby's bath tub. lol
I've come to believe that every 'easy' part of Skeeter is balanced by a 'tricky' part. He sleeps great at night - which is fantastic - but we have a lot of tricky moments during the day.
I loved Babies as well!! It was great seeing them so close to Skeeter's age and how different their lives are.
Post a Comment