Well, the doctor will probably set you up, but Rhett had yeast diaper rash a few times and that over the counter athlete's foot cream actually works really well since the fungus is apparently susceptible to whatever is in that cream. Even after one dose we noticed an improvement. The doctor will probably prescribe something more expensive, though. (Oh, so cynical...)
Poor baby. Give him some motrin or something tonight so that it doesn't wake him up. I do that on the REALLY bad diaper rashes and it definitely helps. Now that she can talk, I know that it does wake her up when it is really bad. She tells me "baa-um need cream" in the middle of the night.
My kid's would occasionally have that happen and I would slather it with monistat/athlete's foot cream and then cover that with a thick coating of the old fashioned desitin (not the new, creamy useless stuff). It would clear up in a couple of days. It's hella cheaper than a doctor's co-pay and prescription.
W had a diaper rash that was soooo bad that it was bleeding and awful. We went to doctor and he got an RX but the doc suggested baths in baking soda (1 cup baking soda and warm water up to belly) for quick relief. And to try generic monistat or vagisil- the 3 day tube if you can find it. I've had the same tube for W for ages because you don't need much. I used it instead of triple paste and then put aquaphor on top. Then used the RX stuff at night.
And motrin.
And I switched to huggies natural dipes during all of this because I didn't know what the RX of vagisil would do to my cloth dipes AND I didn't want any extra chemicals. So a natural paper dipe - even 7th gen if you can swing it. (that's what I have on stand by now if there is a butt situation)
We were using the lotrimin (CVS brand). Then Nyastatin.Turns out it seems like that was making it worse. We think the yeast infection had gone, and now he was just dealing with acidic teething poo burning his bum and then tearing when he pooped.
So we slathered aquaphor on it and didn't use wipes and did the baking soda bit. It's getting much better. Now his teeth are causing him LOTS of distress though. :(
Lots of trying, angst, sadness, pain and procedures mixed with the happiest marriage and most fulfilling life I could hope to have. Now, after 4 years of hoping and praying, our little man is here - delivered Jan. 4th, 2010. Disbelief, craziness and joy. This blog serves as my outlet and record of my daily life - whether it be infertility related or not.
8 comments:
Well, the doctor will probably set you up, but Rhett had yeast diaper rash a few times and that over the counter athlete's foot cream actually works really well since the fungus is apparently susceptible to whatever is in that cream. Even after one dose we noticed an improvement. The doctor will probably prescribe something more expensive, though. (Oh, so cynical...)
Poor baby. Give him some motrin or something tonight so that it doesn't wake him up. I do that on the REALLY bad diaper rashes and it definitely helps. Now that she can talk, I know that it does wake her up when it is really bad. She tells me "baa-um need cream" in the middle of the night.
That is terrible!!!
Have you tried Triple Paste? It's not for "yeast infections" but is for hardcore diaper rashes.
My kid's would occasionally have that happen and I would slather it with monistat/athlete's foot cream and then cover that with a thick coating of the old fashioned desitin (not the new, creamy useless stuff). It would clear up in a couple of days. It's hella cheaper than a doctor's co-pay and prescription.
That poor baby!!! :( :(
W had a diaper rash that was soooo bad that it was bleeding and awful. We went to doctor and he got an RX but the doc suggested baths in baking soda (1 cup baking soda and warm water up to belly) for quick relief. And to try generic monistat or vagisil- the 3 day tube if you can find it. I've had the same tube for W for ages because you don't need much. I used it instead of triple paste and then put aquaphor on top. Then used the RX stuff at night.
And motrin.
And I switched to huggies natural dipes during all of this because I didn't know what the RX of vagisil would do to my cloth dipes AND I didn't want any extra chemicals. So a natural paper dipe - even 7th gen if you can swing it. (that's what I have on stand by now if there is a butt situation)
xxxooo
Hey, I'm new to your blog, but we've dealt with many a yeasty-diaper area in my house so I felt compelled to offer some ass-vice.
First, IDK if you cloth diaper, but if you do, add vinigar to your first rinse cycle.
Second, you can treat it with plain old, OTC Monistat (or store-brand). We usually use the Target brand and then slather Desiten on top of that.
Hope your LO gets to feeling better soon!
PS I saw someone wrote about athlete's foot cream - that works too but costs more. Monistat is the same stuff but usually costs less (go figure!).
We were using the lotrimin (CVS brand). Then Nyastatin.Turns out it seems like that was making it worse. We think the yeast infection had gone, and now he was just dealing with acidic teething poo burning his bum and then tearing when he pooped.
So we slathered aquaphor on it and didn't use wipes and did the baking soda bit. It's getting much better. Now his teeth are causing him LOTS of distress though. :(
Post a Comment