Friday, October 8, 2010

Fun Family Stories

*Tonight E was very excited about his book reading. It was past time for him to eat, so I kept showing him his bottle, but he kept pushing it away impatiently and leaning over the arm of the chair for more books. "NO Mommy. READ more! NO sleep!" Then he'd smile delightedly as he smacked the front of the chosen book. The sleepiness eventually won though.

*E has a few pairs of PJs that have animal faces on the feet. These include doggies and monkeys complete with ears. Since he loves to pull his socks off and play with his feet, these little animals get quite a work out. He recently realized that those cool things stuck to his feet actually had faces. Now we frequently see him hug his own foot while saying, "Aaaawawawawawaaaaaaaaaaaw." (That means I'm loving you doggie face - or whatever he's loving at the moment.) Very cute.

*Hub has been working on an extra project lately and not getting enough sleep. On top of that, he has some nasty allergies that prevent a quality snooze. I often bug him to try to get more rest. The other day we were getting in the car with the baby when I realized that I had forgotten the diaper bag. He said, "I'll get it," and ran back in the house.

The bag was just in the living room already packed, but it took him a few minutes to emerge. He opened the door and tossed a bag in to me. I looked at him blankly, waiting for the punch line before saying,

"I need the diaper bag honey."

"Yeeeeeah," he said, and indicated the bag he had handed me.

"No honey, the diaper bag. I need some of his other things." The bag he had handed me did indeed have a few diapers and a bottle in it, but that was all.

"What?? Do you want a HUGE bag?"

"Um, no, just the diaper bag."

"You want the big backpack thing for daycare???" he asked incredulously.
I stared at him blankly some more, my mind whirring for the right answer.

Finally I said, "Honey, this is NOT the diaper bag."
"Yes it is."
Complete bafflement.
"Um, nooooo. It's my LUNCH bag. My ORANGE lunch bag that you had to actually put baby supplies in to bring out. My lunch bag that has lunch stuff IN it."

He stared at me, perplexed, for a moment.

"Honey, I need the silver, small diaper bag that is always packed."

I finally saw the light dawn in his eyes. Then we laughed with the slightest edge of concern before fixing the problem and going on our way. I'm thinking I probably shouldn't have been OK with him being the driver.

Moral of the story: He figured out that he's sleep deprived, and that I'm not just bugging him for nothing.

1 comment:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Ooooh, that sweet little baby hugging his foot! Can I get a video? (And yes, I realize it would probably be near impossible to capture on video, but seriously, the CUTE.)