I've been having a lot of self doubt, depression and guilt lately. My baby is still not better, and I worry about that intensely. The poor thing has lost so much weight and still has trouble eating because of his congestion. He still vomits at least once/day from all the coughing and has trouble sleeping most times. It's been over a week. It seems that last night his fever started returning. We go to the doctor tomorrow. This is torture for us and mostly for him.
In other areas of life, I'm doubting my ability to be a good friend, wife and mother. I haven't been physically or emotionally able to give as much of myself since the end of my pregnancy. I realize now this depression and anxiety thing is not new and has been going on for months. It's getting better now, but I still backslide a LOT. People who I thought were my good friends have never come to see E, while they've gone to see another friend's baby multiple times, and I wonder if that's my fault.
I feel guilty that E and I have stood on the way of Hub's big career move for the thing he wants to do most. It absolutely breaks my heart even though at the time, I wanted more of his presence. And I hear peoples' criticisms of my mothering and it bothers me so much because I worry about a kernel of truth in it.
I feel so alone in this so often. I've read Dooce for years, and now I know of which she speaks in that vein.
Sunday, April 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Barb, I sent a reply to your email about tomorrow before I read this and now I really want you to know that I meant what I said in it. You are an excellent mother. A lesser one wouldn't be so concerned about this long-ish illness.
oh honey. I so wish we lived closer to each other because I totally get where you are right now. I agree with Maresi in that a "bad mother" wouldn't give a shit about anything.
I will say that going back on wellbutrin helped me a TON. It just helped me have the ability to step back and breathe and not instantly go to the dark place.
You are loved. And you are a wonderful Mama.
Poor baby. Tell him I love him and I will see him on Wednesday.
You are a good friend, a good wife, and a good mother. Having a little baby is all consuming and it is so hard. But life gets easier.
It is so hard when they're sick, when they're so little.
You're doing exactly what a new mom should be doing - focusing her attention on her baby. And,what, precisely, do they think you're doing wrong? Because at the end of the day, you know your baby best. I know where you're coming from, I feel the unspoken criticism of my mothering, as well, even though I know full well that the Chieftain is fine, I'm a good mom, etc.
Breathe.
You are doing SO amazing. I am in awe that you are back at work at all, as well as having a newborn. I really have profound respect for working moms.
Please don't blame yourself for anything. It is heartbreaking when babies are sick, plain and simple. But he will get better. This too shall pass.
(Did I ever tell you about when Rhett got a fever of 103 when we, like dumbasses, decided to take him to the beach with us when he was 6 weeks old and he ended up in the hospital -- the hospital at the beach! -- for 5 days and had to have a spinal tap because they were worried it was meningitis? He had a COLD, but still. Talk about feeling guilty. What kind of dummies take a 6 week old to the beach??)
I am sure that your husband understands. You haven't stood in the way of anything that was more important than your son. There are, I think, very few people who look back on their life and wish they had spent less time with their kids. You are all doing the best you can and it is OBVIOUS you love that little boy and that is what will imprint on him for his life.
(Oh, and is it catty to say that I find Dooce profoundly annoying? I do like it when she is brutally honest about PPD, but all that excessive capitalisation gives me a headache.)
I think I know why I don't comment often, it is because my damn comments turn into blog posts.
And yes, thyroid sounds reasonable. Definitely worth checking out.
Love you all. :) ME TOO CALI, WHY DID YOU LEAVE??? :)
Post a Comment