Saturday, November 21, 2009

Overwhelmed

I've been feeling very overwhelmed due to how slow I am and all that has to be done and all that is coming. Granted, I'm more inclined to feel that way than the average bear, but someone please tell me it's normal?

And yes, I am still very grateful and happy overall, but that doesn't change the day to day.

8 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Dude, want to come over and see my house right now? It will ruin all your illusions of me and my housekeeping skills.

And yes, normal. You still have a full month and a half left and you'll get it all done. (Also, don't tell anyone, but you would be just fine if you had the baby today with all the stuff you have and all the stuff you've already done.)

Chelle said...

Yep, it is definitely normal. All I have to say is get used to it. Cause once your little man makes his appearance you will be so far behind you won't remember what it feels like to be caught up. The upside is that you also won't care because he will be the center of your universe. :)

Rebecca said...

Ah, Creeping Third Trimester Exhaustion, I remember you all too well! Really... it is amazing how the growing babe saps your energy (at least I assume that is part of what you refer to when you mention your slowness), but so gradually that you don't even realise it's happening until one day you fall asleep on the way to take a shower.

Seriously though, it was amazing to me how exhausted I was right up until the day Jasper was born, wondering how in the holy heckito I'd be able to do it once he was outside, and then, within 24 hours of his birth, I had all my old energy back and then some. I'm betting the same thing happens to you.

Don't be too hard on yourself... pregnancy is HARD. You're growing an entire human being in there, it isn't supposed to be a day on the beach, no matter how happy, grateful and loving you feel.

seussgirl said...

Oh my, yes. I had NO energy throughout the last pregnancy. I did get a burst of it after he got here, but it has slowly seeped away again. (of course, some of that may be due to a lack of thyroid meds for awhile now, so we'll hope you skip that part!)
I think you (the general "you," not you in particular) also just get a burst of good feelings from dropping that weight at first - it just makes your body easier to move!

Barb said...

Thanks girls. But I want his room to be pretty and done at least!! I just feel like my life will be a whirlwind once he gets here and then even worse after I go back to work (ugh.) So I want the stuff really important to me to get done now.

Rebecca.. you've mentioned feeling better after he was born before, and I'm hoping for htat. I realize I'll be tired when he's here too, but I already have to sleep in shifts and such and am already tired all the time. I'm hoping the lack of physical stuff (once I heal) like the sciatica and leg and foot pain will help me then. That's one of the reasons I'm so slow.. it hurts to walk and move around a lot of times.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

You are totally normal. I think after the baby arrives, you get a new sense of what NEEDS to get done and what falls to the wayside. But beforehand, when you see that to-do list and all that looms...overwhelming is the perfect word.

Rebecca said...

Heh. Evidently I went directly from third trimester exhaustion to postpartum dementia, because I totally forgot I already told you that!

Seriously though, I bet you get it all done with time to spare. (That "time to spare" part you may not see as a good thing later on.)

Jamie said...

I remember sitting in the floor of the nursery, folding baby clothes and crying because I was so overwhelmed. And the guilt was tremendous because having a baby was something I wanted so very badly.

Rebecca is right - your energy will come back almost immediately. I remember thinking I didn't even realize how tired I was before Skeeter was born. Sure, once you're home you are tired from getting up to feed every few hours but it is different from the sheer exhaustion of being ten months pregnant.

I was also amazed at how quickly all the little aches and pains go away. It was like I had my body back almost immediately. The first time I went to the bathroom after delivery the nurse encouraged me to go and I went along with her even though I didn't feel like I needed to. Once I sat down, I peed and peed and peed. I didn't even know I needed to!! And it was GLORIOUS.