Monday, January 26, 2009

The cells they are a-smokin'

I'm sitting at the computer desk, reading scientific papers and googling what I don't understand. This sh*t is SO DENSE. Forgive me if most of my brain cells work themselves into a fatigued frenzy over this stuff for the time being. Maybe using this experience, I can make the argument that the brain is really a muscle. ;-}

P.S. Hub and I are conducting dissortive mating (except in intelligence and height) - which means that our "population" would have a higher heterozygosity, hopefully resulting in higher genetic fitness. We're so proud of that non-existent progeny.

8 comments:

Karen said...

Huh? I'll take your word for it, although I wish that your progeny were more existent. I hope you at least like this stuff. I know for me sometimes it feels good to exercise the brain a bit. At least in small amounts.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Ah, that P.S. made me miss school. I LOVED genetics.

Barb said...

hahaha Karen. Yes. I agree. It's good I'm only taking one class.

Me too Jen. :) And no, I cannot have fun without you. ;-)

Stephanie said...

I second Karen...huh? How have you determined what your "population" would be like? Sounds interesting though. :)Keep up the studying!

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph! It's just a basic principle... kind of like how you know a heavier person will make a bigger splash doing a cannonball from the same height.

It's principles of genetics. Heterozygous just means you have more alleles that contain two copies of two different aspects of a trait. For example.. brown eyes and blue eyes. If you have a person with brown eyes and one with blue have children.. their children are very likely to be heterozygous for eye color (Bb). If you have two people who are very different in skin color, hair type, eye shape etc like we are, our children are more likely to have heterozygous traits than if we were both blond and blue eyed (both recessive) and would more likely have children with homozygous traits (for blue eyes.. it's bb).

It's not a certainty, just a generality. That's why I said we aren't in dissortive mating for height and intelligence b/c we're about the same in that. Our children have less chance of being heterozygous for those traits.

Liz said...

Mixing up the gene pool is always good. Lets hope you see the fruits of your labour soon.

Jamie said...

For some reason, I always loved Punnett squares. Call me a freak . . . you would be right!!

Anonymous said...

I always loved Punnet Squares too! We're both freaks!