Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A short section from another perspective...

Hello everybody. This is actually the husband writing in. I don't even know if what I'm saying is true but I'll do my best to recount our journey together from my viewpoint.

When Barb and I first began trying to have a baby I was happy, excited, scared, but also a little bit ambivalent about the whole thing. I never really had that exact point when I thought "Hey, I'm ready to take on the responsibility of having a child to take care of and raise to become a happy and productive human being." I was pretty much brought along by my wife who wanted and needed a child. The important thing for me is for her to be happy and also for us to have a child before the magic number 30.

After some months of trying without any result, my wife and I got a bit worried. Hope came when Barb started seeing a specialist. The specialist seemed to know what the problem was and had ideas about how to fix it. I thought, "Great, we'll have a baby in no time". Or at least, I thought that my wife's general health would improve as a result of those treatments. I was optimistic.

When Barb started taking Clomid, what was a source of hope for me became a source of stress--mainly because of the way the drug not only affected my wife's mood but her general well-being. She went through a lot of physical problems and side-effects as a result of the many treatments she was put through. Those were really tough because I had thought that what we were doing was supposed to make my wife healthier but it ended up making her feel crampy, bloated,uncomfortable, and in pain. I really hated that she had to go through that. I really wished there was something I could have done to help her and make her feel better. Not only that but I wish there was something I could have done to make her doctors really find out why she's still having problems because it almost always seemed like they just didn't care. That's the frustrating thing.

Barb's gone through a couple of specialists now and through that process I'm come to realize that she might not be able to have a child after all.I know that intellectually but I fear dwelling on that idea for too long because I just can't face that idea emotionally. It's just really tough to handle. I still hold out the faint hope that we'll have our own child someday. I do know now that even though I may not think I'm ready for the responsibility of a child, I feel that I want to take on that responsibility and become the best parent I can be.

Thanks.

12 comments:

Kathy V said...

It is great that you can be so supportive of Barb no matter what happens. It is not an easy ourney for anyone to go through. Thanks for posting from your persepctive on all of it. It makes me want to go home and check in with my own hubby.

AwkwardMoments said...

Great Job Hubby!!! Supportive and understanding is hard to come by - and seems like you are definately both!

Barb said...

Thanks honey. You actually DO help me a lot. You're one of the only things that can lift my spirits when I'm in a mood induced by the meds.
xoxo

Heather said...

Aren't you sweet! Very thoughtful post. I'm glad you two have each other!! You clearly make each other happy. :-)

nancy said...

That's awesome that you even took the time to write this. Kudos.

Prairie Girl said...

What a wonderful hubby you are. Barb, I know you are and you should be proud! :D

Me said...

We all know how intimidating it is to go "on stage" and blog... Congrats on your debut appearance!

Chelle said...

That is so sweet. You sound like my sweetie. I always wonder what the male persepective is. Even though my honey and I talk about it, I always wonder if he really feels the same way I do about being a parent. I always tell him that he should be so glad he's not a girl. After seeing everything I've endured over the past year+, he has really come to appreciate everything women go through. I'm really glad Barb has such a sweet guy to understand her and be there for her, even though I don't know her.

Hugs and best wishes from our house to yours,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have each other.

Hilary (Maya Papaya) said...

Wow I am impressed! The illusive male perspective!
Very cool :)

Mrs. Shoes said...

Thanks for sharing the male point of view and loving Barb!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and Barb make quite a team. You are both very lucky.

Thanks for the insight.