Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Quest for Happiness

Way back at the beginning, when I learned that Clomid was the cause of some awful breakdowns, I devised a helpful system. When I felt the black cloud building, I would prepare to do or be around things that make me the happiest. I would avoid everyone that I wasn't 100% comfortable with (which is most people), and hunker down with my happy thoughts. I learned the few things that could break through the madness with a bit of light.

That's still my method, but if I'm not prepared, it's much harder to overcome. When that happens, I usually get blindsided by something stupid, which
makes me feel even more crappy. Then it's really hard to climb out.

I tried all the usual things the past few days. I watched favorite movies and shows, hugged my husband and pets, played a game, and even went to see a performance by the Lipizzan Stallions. It was beautiful and made me long to ride, but didn't make me forget my cares. The photo pictures the Levade.

As it happens though, I can also be blindsided into happiness. I had gone out for groceries, and decided to stop at Joanne's to get a skein of their sale yarn, and to drool at all the other things I couldn't afford.

I went to the nearest store, and was shocked to find that it was closing! ALL their items were 40-70% off the lowest marked price! They had tons of yarn left, and it was 50% off the lowest price. I rummaged, touched, gazed, pondered and rummaged again. It took me an hour to pick out my choices. They all ended up in the one to three dollar range per skein. When I came home, I laid them all out and dreamed up what they would become and in what pattern. I love the feel and beauty of good yarn. There is so much potential in that tidily wrapped package. This unexpected find bolstered my spirits for quite a few hours. I was very grateful. Now I just have to find my next nugget of happiness until I can get out of the pit.

Speaking of yarn, I promised a photo of my finished scarf. I just did knit 1, purl 1 ribbing, and I'm not entirely pleased with it, but here it is. At least it's in my favorite yarn: Lion Brand Homespun.

9 comments:

Me said...

Two of my employees made me a hat and scarf a few years ago. They are my most treasured winter apparel and I wear them often! Your scarf looks very warm, and, least from the pic, nearly perfect! I'm sure the wearer will enjoy it!

Katarina Jelly Beana said...

Very nice scarf! I'm knitting one for my DH out of baby alpaca. Very similar pattern.

Your strategy for coping sounds great. I always do better with a plan, too.

AwkwardMoments said...

VERY SPIFFY!! I have tried a few times to teach myself how to knit but can't get hte hang of it. I am going to attend a knitting class by joann's in a few weeks! Excellent Deals you got!!

Happy New Year

Prairie Girl said...

Fantastic on the yarn finding treasure!! I love finding craft stores that are going out of business, not that I love that they're going out of business but that I can spend less money and still get tons of stuff!!! :) Great job on the scarf. :)

Hopefully the pit of despair does not last too long. (((Hugs)))

Alyssa said...

I think the scarf is fabulous! I have no talent where knitting or crocheting is concerned and I have much envy for those of you who can do it so well.

I hope your yarn keeps you in your happy place for a bit. Enjoy the yarn and the knitting you can do with it.

As for Charlaine Harris-love her! The Sookie Stackhouse books are great. Have you read any of her others? The mysteries are okay, but the mysteries with Harper Lang are phenomenal.

And, if you like the vampire stuff, I would recommend the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. They are considered YA Fiction, but the three books are fantastic reads. (Twilight is #1, New Moon is #2 and Eclipse is #3. 1 and 3 were by far my favs.)

dayzofrain said...

hey.. how funny..I am using the Lion's Brand Homespun to crochet up my MIL a lap blanket...

its really soft....

Your story almost makes me want my JoAnns to close...i'd love all that yarn too!

Hey .. you should check out Revelry.com--- its a great site for yarn manipulators :D

Hilary (Maya Papaya) said...

Wow impressive! I wish I could knit - I can a little bit - but I'm really not very good at it.

Man o man I remember those Clomid breakdowns. Glad to hear you're hanging in there.

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome find! I loooooove coming across a great deal like that. I'm afraid I haven't the knack for knitting, but I like to fantasize that one day I'll knit a blanket or something.

Your scarf looks good to me, and with the cold snap we're having here in FL. it looks like it will come in handy! :)

Jen said...

Hey, you've gotta love a yarn sale! And I think the scarf looks wonderful!