So... I finally mastered the pattern to make My So Called Scarf! However, I made a very poor yarn choice. It was the only variegated yarn I saw, and was in beautiful colors, but the weight of it does not work for this scarf. I can't afford to buy the Manos del Uruguay yarn - beautiful as it is. So I'm on the hunt for affordable variegated yarn that will work well with this pattern. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.
I may venture out a bit to see a yarn shop I just found that looks very promising. Why can none of them be close to me though??
Gotta run. I'm meeting up with a friend soon. I also met up with another friend yesterday and plan to blog about it, but that (along with my financial woes) will have to wait until I get back. ;-)
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yeah the Manos is pretty pricey. I try not to tell my hubby how much yarn costs me for fear that he will ban me from entering my local yarn shop. I don't have any specific suggestions, but try to find a yarn that is a worsted weight.
After making my last comment I decided to go on ravelry and see what other yarns people used to make this scarf that were less expensive. Here are a few:
Caron Simply Soft
Patons Classic Wool Merino
Patons Soy Wool Stripes (for a striped look)
Jo-Ann Sensations Rainbow Classic
Lion's Brand Vanna's Choice
Good luck!
The Manos is AWESOME.
What about getting some plain off-white worsted wool (or alpaca...:) ) and doing the whole kool-aid dye thing to get colors closer to the Manos? Knitty.com has GREAT instructions.
Those are some GREAT suggestions Jen and Katarina! You know what I did though? I am a very bad girl. I bought some malabrigo at a yarn shop today. It wasn't quite as pricey as the manos and it's lovely. I'll just tell DH that I'll work overtime for it or something. :(
I love the patons soy wool stripes! I think I'll go for that if I need this again.
Post a Comment