Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Good, the Bad and the Pretty Darn Beautiful

This weekend was very bittersweet. There was so much to be appreciated amongst so much bad luck. I'll start with the bad.

We recently found out that our real estate taxes went up more than they had estimated they would. On top of that, our mortgage company did not take enough out for escrow last year, so we owe them a short fall. If we stay with escrow, they want a 2 month cushion. Understandable. However, that would mean that our house payments (plus escrow) would go up over $300/month! There is no way in God's green Earth that we can afford to make those payments. If we pull out of escrow, we'd just owe the mortgage company the shortfall, and our payments would go up just a little. Then we'd have to save for taxes and insurance ourselves. There is so much to be considered here. No wonder people lose their houses when they could afford them initially! The county simply took a lot higher percentage rate this year than they said they would. How can we possibly know that's coming?? I'm going to have to work really hard to get overtime work, and DH is considering getting a second job. This means that even though state adoption is much more affordable for us, it's shelved until we can get a little more stable. This economy sucks giant hairy ones. I hate it.

Ready for the good? I thought so. On Monday I met up with a fellow infertile! Her name is Stephanie and we met through this blog. It was slightly spur of the moment, and I was very excited. For some inexplicable reason, I was all worried that she would think I looked ok and not too much like a goof. In general, I wanted her to like me since we seemed to have a lot in common through the 'net. This thinking is what led me to even wear mascara! I never wear mascara!! I neglected to mention this to her when she confessed to me that she wore lipstick for the same reason.

We met up at Panera Bread for some yummy soup and a nice long chat. She was very pretty and approachable, and surprisingly, very like I pictured her. The nice thing is that we were able to talk about our lives as a whole with infertility as a horrible part of it. I think now, I need people like that who have been in the trenches for a while. I can't focus solely on IF or I'll go crazy. Another nice thing is that I felt some of that "fellowship of IF" that I've felt with other people. The same happened when I met L at the acupuncture office, and when my local pharmacist chatted me up about IVF. There are just clues that IF veterans give off in certain situations that let you both know you have something in common. Then you can breathe and lower your walls. But those stories will come in another post.

For now, just know that it was wonderful to finally meet up with another IFer in person for a change. The other 2 women I've met have been very busy (happily since they are now pregnant!) and we've had a hard time catching up. We will probably meet again, and if anyone in the Central Florida area is interested, please contact me! You can find the info on the Stirrup Queen's website.

Furthermore, I met up with a long time friend today! To get to her, I got to drive through some of the unspoiled regions of Florida, and it eased my soul. Wetlands, forests, palmetto and scrub were a feast for the eyes. The weather has been absolutely beautiful; 70's, clear and sunny. We met in a quaint little historic district near the ocean, and she bought me some yummy Mexican food. Afterward we wandered the little shops where I found....

...YARN FOR MY SCARF! It's by Malabrigo, and it's scrumptious. I bought the variegated Merino color called stonechat. It was more than I should have spent, but I'll work extra or sell something else on ebay. It's entirely worth it.

So how's that for a bittersweet few days? There has been a lot of good. It's just that the bad is so bad that it barely balances. I know many many of us are in tough spots right now, so best wishes to us all.

13 comments:

Kathy V said...

That is really a bummer that the adoption has to be put on hold for a little while. It is nice that you were able to meet up with friends and talk about something other than if. It does seem as though sometimes it takes over your life. I'm glad that you could meet with Stepahnie and have a common bond but talk about other things too.

AwkwardMoments said...

yah for meeting IF bloggers! as for the Fl real estate issue - it really blows! i am so sorry about that. if iam in the otown area im going to email you

Beth Kyle said...

If it is any consolation, our first escrow analysis went up 1200 this year. They made a mistake and estimated twice as much for taxes. We got that taken care of, but our escrow payment did increase $600 to make up for the deficite last year. We are working on ways to pay it down - but it is a killer!

Malloryn said...

I'm really sorry to hear about the situation with your mortgage company. It is frighteningly common these days, and there was nothing you could do to prepare for what the county did. I hope you're able to find a solution that you can live with.

Very cool that you met a kind fellow infertile... and that you found the wool for your scarf! Will you have a chance to wear it in Florida? :P

Zizzy said...

I love meeting other kindred spirits that can understand what it's like to deal with IF. We don't have to discuss IF in our friendships, but it's nice to be understood. I'm glad you met another friend. :)

Chelle said...

Don't you just love those moments when it feels like the universe is just dumping on you? I'm sorry to hear about the bad news. That really bites and seems really unfair.

Its really cool that you got to meet up with a fellow IF'r. Its so nice to be able to talk to someone who honestly knows what you are going through. I'm rather envious that you now have a friend close by.

Good luck with the house crap. :(

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

The housing situation is a bitch all over the country. It's really horrible the situations that people end up in - and not because they did anything wrong at any step of the way. Good luck sorting all of that out!

Happy to hear, though, that you connected with another IFer. Without those connections, I don't think any of us would survive!!

XOXO

Jen said...

Sorry about having to put adoption on hold, but hopefully you are able to come up with the $$$ quickly.

Oooh and the Malabrigo. I've never used it but I've heard so many good things. Tons of people used it for their My So Called Scarves on Ravelry. Yeah its pricey, but its so, so nice! Happy knitting.

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,

It was fantastic meeting you in person! For all of the bloggers and lurkers, she is as cute, if not more so than you imagine. Definitely no "goof" to be found, and of course I wanted to impress you as well. How funny is it that you put on mascara and I some lipstick for our "date".

I had a great time, it's amazing that we have so much in common. I thought it would be more awkward meeting a somewhat stranger, but it didn't take too long for that to wash away.

I agree that it was nice to talk about everything, not just IF, would't that be a downer if we did!

It would be wonderful if others would like to join us for a real live chat in the future.

Keep up the good work and good luck with everything.

Heather said...

Arrrgh, that house nonsense is so annoying. :-( Sorry you're having to deal with that. But glad you met someone new to connect with!

Barb said...

Thanks Kathy. I'm bummed about the adoption stuff, but happy about some of the great things that have been happening in my life. I'm actually living some again.

Farah - Sounds great!! I'm rarely over in Tampa, but if I get over there.. :)

Holy crap Beth! That's crazy! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that.

Mallory - I think I already missed my chances!! We had night where the low was 27 and the high during the day was 42!! I missed a couple cool nights. I'm just hoping to finish it in time to wear it once or twice.

Thanks Lizzy. You're sweet. :)

Thanks Michelle. :) Maybe you could find some IF people through Stirrup Queens?

Thanks LIW! I commented on your blog. :)

Jen - It's cheaper than the manos. But manos seems to have a nicer color range. Though there are a few of the malabrigos that I had to forcibly restrain myself from buying. haha. And I signed up for ravelry, but I'm on the waiting list. I can't wait!!

THANKS Stephanie!!! How sweet! :) It sucks that i can't be as glib in person as I can be in writing. But that comes from not being as familiar with one another. I'm also a little bit more bouncy (when the fatigue isn't around) than I showed to you but that's because I don't like to scare new people with my craziness. ;-)

Thanks Heather. I appreciate your empathy. :) I'm starting to feel a bit more like myself as time goes on.

Kathy V said...

Another IF friend and I might be able to hoop up IRL. It is amazing the fear and anticipation all wrapped up into one. We are not meeting for a couple of weeks because of treatments and what not but I am still worried about what I should wear and if I should wear mascara or not. I feel like I did when I was going on a date with hubby for the first time. Will she like me? What will we talk about(other than IF)? But yet I look forward to it with a renewed sense of anticipation. Maybe I will wear mascara AND lipstick.

Barb said...

hahaha. Very cute Kathy. GL!