It's amazing. Every time I travel with E, so many people step up to help. And the interesting thing I've noticed is that it tends to be the others who have (or are having) difficulties themselves who help the most. For example, this time while I was waiting to pre-board in my home airport, a group of families with a total of about 6 children ranging in age from 3-9 offered to help me carry my load of toddler, car seat and bag onto the plane. Also in the mix offering to help was a very well dressed, lovely older woman of perhaps 70.
Then, when I landed at my destination, the rental car agent behind the counter actually left her post to help me carry my luggage etc the whole way down to the car pick up area. Then she even offered to help me to the car, but the people there beat her to the punch by pulling it up right in front of me. Simply amazing. (I still need to write a letter to the company about her.)
But what really touched me was my experience when flying back. I barely made it to the airport in time to check in for various reasons, but everyone there, from the rental car return agent to TSA security seemed to make it a point to make life easier for me and other passengers. When one security agent noticed E's distress at having to put his treasures through screening, he told him he'd make him an honorary officer and handed him a shiny gold badge sticker to put on his shirt. E was so proud of himself. He wore it the whole way home and then showed his Daddy. And I told the agent that I was going to make it a point to fly smaller airports in the future if I could. Wow. The most enduring help I got was from the man behind me in line at the ticket counter. He was on the same flight I was and was running just as late, but motioned me to go ahead of him for everything. The he lingered every time we needed to do something just to help me. He took my luggage to the security drop off. He carried the car seat the whole way through the airport even though I had rigged a way to carry it myself (more on that in the next post.) And he did all this even though he knew he'd be behind as well since they'd have to screen his prosthetic leg, and that took extra time.
I don't know how he lost his leg. I don't even know his name. But the military shirt he wore, and his gallantry made me imagine him as a hero who continues to serve others. It was amazing. He was humble and kind and continued to worry about our well being right up until we deplaned at home. I told him I'd buy him some coffee, and he tried to get out of it. I saw a Starbucks and wiggled my eyebrows. I knew I had him when I saw a glint of excitement in his eye. We were coming in on a late flight. Then, incredibly, he tried to buy his drink and get ME one when we got up there. That's when I brought out the Mommy growl and told him I was buying it and to shut up and drink it. He got a mocha frappucino. I think he liked it.
Traveling with E is always such a joy. We have fun, and we have the same attitude toward exciting new adventures as well as appreciating the little things. But it is made even more joyful by the renewed faith in human kind I find on each one of these trips.
Then, when I landed at my destination, the rental car agent behind the counter actually left her post to help me carry my luggage etc the whole way down to the car pick up area. Then she even offered to help me to the car, but the people there beat her to the punch by pulling it up right in front of me. Simply amazing. (I still need to write a letter to the company about her.)
But what really touched me was my experience when flying back. I barely made it to the airport in time to check in for various reasons, but everyone there, from the rental car return agent to TSA security seemed to make it a point to make life easier for me and other passengers. When one security agent noticed E's distress at having to put his treasures through screening, he told him he'd make him an honorary officer and handed him a shiny gold badge sticker to put on his shirt. E was so proud of himself. He wore it the whole way home and then showed his Daddy. And I told the agent that I was going to make it a point to fly smaller airports in the future if I could. Wow. The most enduring help I got was from the man behind me in line at the ticket counter. He was on the same flight I was and was running just as late, but motioned me to go ahead of him for everything. The he lingered every time we needed to do something just to help me. He took my luggage to the security drop off. He carried the car seat the whole way through the airport even though I had rigged a way to carry it myself (more on that in the next post.) And he did all this even though he knew he'd be behind as well since they'd have to screen his prosthetic leg, and that took extra time.
I don't know how he lost his leg. I don't even know his name. But the military shirt he wore, and his gallantry made me imagine him as a hero who continues to serve others. It was amazing. He was humble and kind and continued to worry about our well being right up until we deplaned at home. I told him I'd buy him some coffee, and he tried to get out of it. I saw a Starbucks and wiggled my eyebrows. I knew I had him when I saw a glint of excitement in his eye. We were coming in on a late flight. Then, incredibly, he tried to buy his drink and get ME one when we got up there. That's when I brought out the Mommy growl and told him I was buying it and to shut up and drink it. He got a mocha frappucino. I think he liked it.
Traveling with E is always such a joy. We have fun, and we have the same attitude toward exciting new adventures as well as appreciating the little things. But it is made even more joyful by the renewed faith in human kind I find on each one of these trips.
3 comments:
How wonderful that you got to experience the kindness of strangers. And that you and E are such good traveling companions!
I can zen in many areas of my life but being zen during travel still eludes me.
That's awesome!
Wow. That is amazing! I'm so glad people really are still kind out there.
Post a Comment