I have to be honest and say that I still enjoy real books much more than Kindle versions. I also find it far easier and cheaper to either get books from the library or to buy them from Amazon. I gave in to that truth recently and ordered a bunch of books for delivery from our local library system. I just finished reading Two Kisses for Maddie by Matt Logelin, Bossypants by Tina Fey and Stories I Only Tell my Friends by Rob Lowe. I highly enjoyed all of them.
Two Kisses for Maddie is a beautiful, moving book that accomplishes what I think Matt Logelin wanted it to be - a memoir of the love and loss of his wife. It's obvious he's a newer writer, but the emotion and beauty in that writing make it so worth the read. It probably doesn't hurt for me that I had been following his story on his blog for some time before reading it.
Bossypants is hilarious. Tina Fey is so smart, sassy and fun that I found myself nodding my head and bursting out in giggles all throughout the book. People at work thought I was losing my mind. Among my favorite lines is... about people who barely know her who say that her scar is "beautiful.." "You might as well say, let me be amazing at you." She crystallizes what we all think so well. If you've read it or do read it, please let me know if you spit out your lunch like I did when you read the line where she describes how sad the YMCA Christmas is. You'll know the one. Also, if you read Here We Go Again, please tell me if this makes you think of Jen. Maybe it's just because I get to see her very sassy side. But she does write conversationally much like Jen. I think they would be great friends.
Stories I Only Tell My Friends started out slow and disjointed for me. But by halfway through the book, I had gotten into it and ended up enjoying it a great deal. I was surprised when I saw Rob Lowe on various interviews for the book. I liked him in spite of myself. After reading it, I'm happy to say I think I still do. It's worth it if you have an interest in how Hollywood works without the glamour.
The best thing about all this reading is that it's nudged my writing back to life some. (well that and the fact that E has been a good sleeper lately.)
Two Kisses for Maddie is a beautiful, moving book that accomplishes what I think Matt Logelin wanted it to be - a memoir of the love and loss of his wife. It's obvious he's a newer writer, but the emotion and beauty in that writing make it so worth the read. It probably doesn't hurt for me that I had been following his story on his blog for some time before reading it.
Bossypants is hilarious. Tina Fey is so smart, sassy and fun that I found myself nodding my head and bursting out in giggles all throughout the book. People at work thought I was losing my mind. Among my favorite lines is... about people who barely know her who say that her scar is "beautiful.." "You might as well say, let me be amazing at you." She crystallizes what we all think so well. If you've read it or do read it, please let me know if you spit out your lunch like I did when you read the line where she describes how sad the YMCA Christmas is. You'll know the one. Also, if you read Here We Go Again, please tell me if this makes you think of Jen. Maybe it's just because I get to see her very sassy side. But she does write conversationally much like Jen. I think they would be great friends.
Stories I Only Tell My Friends started out slow and disjointed for me. But by halfway through the book, I had gotten into it and ended up enjoying it a great deal. I was surprised when I saw Rob Lowe on various interviews for the book. I liked him in spite of myself. After reading it, I'm happy to say I think I still do. It's worth it if you have an interest in how Hollywood works without the glamour.
The best thing about all this reading is that it's nudged my writing back to life some. (well that and the fact that E has been a good sleeper lately.)
1 comment:
I will have to get that book. I love that Tina Fey reminds you of me. I LOOK FORWARD TO GETTING MY OWN HIT SHOW, NBC.
Post a Comment