Edited at bottom to add a new link!
Before E, I had started getting to a point where I was ok with me. I knew who I was. I knew my flaws and that was ok. I had a nice, comfy world. Then when I became a mother, there were many little changes in my personality. My world view shifted, and I lost confidence. Added to these were the facts that my hormones were crazy, and there was a being out there now that truly meant more to me than my own life in every conceivable way, and there was no way I could protect him with a totality that would suit. The insecurity of it all knocked me flat.
But I have built myself up again little by little. First, I had to gain confidence that I was a good Mom. I've done that with the help of friends, family and a good counselor. Lately I've been working on accepting all parts of myself for who I am and being ok with it. Since my attitudes toward right and wrong changed some, I had to accept that I had lived outside some of those new rules pre-E, and that that was ok. Furthermore, who I am now is ok, and I'm not a wimp for becoming softer, more motherly. Besides, I admire those most who know themselves and can be completely honest about it without apology. Maybe that can be me someday.
In that spirit, here are some things that I AM or AM NOT, and all of it is good.
1. I am headstrong.
2. I am not funny.
3. I love positive attention.
4. I am stoic.
5. I am introverted.
6. I am anxious.
7. I am passionate.
8. I am not bold.
9. I AM brave.
10. I am serious.
11. I am thoughtful.
12. I am cautious.
13. I am enterprising.
14. I am hard working.
15. I am not precise.
16. I am a good generalist.
17. I am not beautiful.
18. But I can be pretty.
19. I am not loud.
20. I am loyal.
21. I am unsure.
22. I am loving.
23. I am intelligent.
24. I am knowledgeable.
25. I am not genius.
26. I am talkative.
27. I am spirited.
28. I am over eager.
29. I am idealistic.
30. I am impatient.
31. I am scattered.
32. I am not charismatic.
33. I am sarcastic.
34. I am a perfectionist.
35. I am a Mother. (a good one)
36. I am a wife. (sometimes a good one)
37. And I am a daughter, sister, friend, Aunt, cousin and niece.
I am Barb.
If you'd like to make your own list of things you are and are not, please let me know so I can link to you and view your thoughts!
1. Pinky and the Zebra had a great list here.
Monday, January 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You are a great friend as my intuition told me the first time we met in Detroit and as you've proven since then! I love you and I wish you lived next to me!
R from Europe
You are all of those things and more!
Thank you for doing this list. You inspired me to do one for myself. You can read it, if you like, on my blog at www.pinkyandzebra.blogspot.com
I think this is something I will start doing on a regular basis - not sure if I will keep posting it, but I feel like it is a good tool for me to help me be a better me and be happier with myself. And I really needed a way to help do that.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Post a Comment