E had his well check up today. He's still above average in height but way below in weight. He's very near the edge of the "normal" curve. The doctor isn't overly concerned because he still looks healthy and appears to be thriving, and Daddy was a skinny minnie, but he suggested trying to get more food into him and really cutting back on milk as much as possible. E usually sticks in the 20 oz limit range, but sometimes ranges up into 30. (Though I thought that usually made them overweight?) Anyway, we're going to be more strict. Dr. F. gave us the go ahead to switch to whole milk, and we need to shovel more food into this kid. Any ideas?
Oh - and he also reassured me that while we should be encouraging finger foods, he still needs the bulk of his calories fed to him to help him gain. Dr. F. is also as nervous as I am about choking hazards, so says it's fine to continue a lot of the softer stuff.
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Have you tried grilled cheese sandwich cut up in little pieces or pb and j cut up? If you haven't tried peanut butter yet Annika loved soy butter and jelly sandwiches. And scrambled eggs with cheese if you've tried eggs already. Good luck!
Elizabeth got all skinny when she started moving all the time.
Has he had eggs yet? My kids loved scrambled eggs (scrambled in lots of butter) with cheese melted scrambled into them.
eggs are a big winner here, and, as weird as it sounds, bagel with cream cheese! our ped told us whole milk from the start (and actually told me not to give wheat or nut milks due to the lower calories, although I hope to start introducing them around the 18 month mark).
LB has fallen off the chart completely. He is all ribs. :(
I am at a loss for finger foods since I don't give him grains for the most part.
I guess I agree with the eggs. LB loves them. And sweet potatoes. I can get him to eat anything if I hide it in sweet potatoes.
Scrambled eggs with a little bit of cheese in them is a big hit around here. And he has just discovered peanut butter and LIKES it. So it is nice to have a PB&J to fall back on when I can't get him to eat anything else.
When Skeeter started this phase, our pedi suggested feeding him before giving him a milk, saying he was filling up on milk and not wanting food. It is tough and sometimes I stick to it depending on what kind of day we are having. And some days, it is just easier on all of us to give him a milk.
Post a Comment