Could someone please tell me what peoples' obsession with adding rice cereal to my breast milk is? I'm getting pressure from daycare, family, passers by.... According to my research, live enzymes in breast milk break down the cereal before the baby can drink it anyway. And on top of that, it's a myth that it adds more calories to help them sleep better. The amount you're supposed to add contributes 5 calories. Five measly calories. My milk does better than that. And he sleeps at night just fine when he's comfortable thank you. (see Jen? I'm learning.) We've been doing exactly as our book and doctor say and trying the taste of some of the stage one foods to see if he's interested after a normal feeding. So far he just gives us a crazy look and tries to push it back out. Don't worry public at large. We won't starve him. Sheesh.
Anyone want to share their solids stories with me?
Friday, June 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Yes. We didn't start solids until six months. Period. I don't care if the baby was staring at our food and making chewing motions with her mouth. She was 97% for weight too, so obviously we were starving her.
Also, we didn't ever do rice cereal. We started with real rice and green beans, whole. She could pick them up and eat what she wanted to eat, not what we put in her mouth for her.
I hate when people push stuff like that. Our daycare wanted to know why we never packed rice cereal or food for A to eat at around 4 months. I just now started sending food with her to daycare. I think you're doing just fine!
Daycares are WEIRD sometimes.
We started solids at 4 mo, but rice at 3.5 mo. Our twins were eating and eating and eating, and they LOVE solids. They are now, at 9mo, eating from the table as well. Our ped was very on board with it since the kids were trying to eat.
Well if your doctor has not mentioned it then dont worry - you do what they advise just like you are. Nola is 4 months any my doctor told me to start rice cereal (not in her bottle) 2x a day and see how she does and if she does ok then in 2 weeks I can try apple saucce and then go from there to 1st foods...but I would listen to your doctor first and foremost.
Jasper did not eat a bite of solid food for eight months. And even then, I was so lazy/busy, he only got foods he could feed himself. He is 18 months now and a very indiscriminate eater, he is also chubby and happy. You'll know when he is ready. I've heard that they don't need anything they cannot get in breast milk for the first 9 months, anyway.
We introduced Skeeter to solids at 4 months. He hated cereal so bad I was afraid it was going to emotionally scar him. After two tries, the cereal went out the door. Never tried it again.
He seemed to be totally offended by textures. So I would offer him something every day, at least once and maybe more depending on how he seemed to like it. He didn't seem to enjoy food or really eat any until he was 6-7 months old.
I would fret about what other people said and what the books said at first. Then I realized he wasn't going to be 20 years old someday and still drinking breastmilk from a bottle. After I had that epiphany, I worried a lot less!
We gave the Chieftain rice cereal around 4 months but he rejected it (I tasted it and, y'know, ew) runny egg yolk around 6-7 mos. He'd nom on that and bits of asparagus, applesauce, but he really didn't care for proper food until he was around 11 mos.
As for feeding, I'd put whatever in front of him and he could eat what he did or didn't want. Actually, that's still how we do it and he's over two, now. He loves his veggies, swiss chard and broccoli, lettuce and carrots, peas, bell peppers. Fruit's are no problem either, except for raisins, which he won't touch. He loves his proteins, with no exceptions. Fish, meat, chicken, pork - he's happy.
I should add that he does not get juice unless he's sick.
We tried doing that with Jillian at a few months old with formula because of everybody's insistence that it helped their baby sleep through the night. All it did for her was make her puke all over me. Yeah...I'll take Hayden's wake-ups before I try that again.
Didn't start solids until after 6 months...because...Mommy was lazy. :-) Didn't feel like adding yet another messy thing to my to-do list. I'll admit it.
I am hearing the same thing all the time. people don't understand why I didn't start L on rice cereal at three weeks old. And when I mention that peds don't recommend any cereal until AT LEAST four months, people laugh in my face. Sheesh.
I have brown rice cereal, and some baby oatmeal in the cupboard for when the day comes, but I am not in a hurry. The rice stuff seems so unappetizing I think I might skip it and go straight to the oatmeal.
Yeah, My kid is a tank and was double his birth weight by 3 months old. Yet people keep asking "isn't he hungry just getting milk?". Derrrr.
Post a Comment