Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Know Thyself

So we took the Myers-Briggs personality test at work recently. I had done it years before, but had long since forgotten what we "found." I always find it a lot of fun finding out who I am and WHY. I ended up being an INFJ. That's MB speak for Introverted, Intuition, Feeling and Judging. Nooo, it doesn't mean I'm judgmental. In the book it says that I have introverted intuition with extroverted feeling. Basically I think and stew and think and stew to myself, but show the world my compassion. I also rely a lot on my intuition and tend to "ping" around in my thoughts connecting various circumstances and ideas to come up with big ideas. The judging part just means that I like it when all of my ducks are in a row, regardless of how sloppy or forgetful I am. I may be sloppy and forgetful, but it drives me crazy that that's so. Interesting huh?

I think everyone would benefit from doing these tests. It also helps to see what others are so you understand them better and don't just think they're being different to bug you. Here is how MB says you guys may view me:

-Private or even mysterious
-intense and individualistic

It also says that when I'm under great stress I may become obsessed with data I would normally consider irrelevant. Or I may overindulge in sensing (the opposite of my N or intuition) activities like watching TV reruns (Me? watch Friends over and over? NEVER!) or buying lots of thing that normally would have little meaning to me. (Me? Take great pleasure in shopping when stressed? NEVER!)

Fun stuff. Anyone else out there an INFJ with me?

8 comments:

maresi said...

I'm close - ENFJ.

Steph said...

I'm a INTJ.
Anti-social, very private, knowledgable with a false self-confidence. No natural empathy.

Yup, sounds right.

Liz said...

I did this on my management course too and am an ESFP. Apparently it basically means I'm a nice person who means well, but will dive straight into things without thinking them though and likes being the centre of attention.

Barb said...

Hey Liz. Your description in my book makes it seem like you're a lot more fun than I am though! ;-)

Me said...

Half the time I come up as an ENTP and half the time I come up as an ENFP.

Extroverted. Intuitive. Sometimes Thinking, sometimes Feeling. Perceiving.

Apparently I'm a born leader. ;)

Anonymous said...

ENFJ!

Although with 6 years of mostly solitude under my belt I am having some issues with the former VERY extroverted version of myself.

Christina said...

I can't remember my exact letters but I was the practical thinker that makes lists. I was grouped with all management and all guys when we had to sit by results.

Stephanie said...

I've never taken the test, so I guess I'll have to find out what I am. Sounds kinda fun.