Because of those feelings, I got into my, "I must make a decision this minute and move forward!" mode. The decision I made (with the help of Hub) was that I would call my endocrinologist and try to move my appointment with her up so that I could ask her what she thought of herbs versus trying Metformin again. Maybe Metformin actually helped me ovulate for those 3 cycles, and it was some other wacky reason that I stopped ovulating on femara and gonal-f. Who knows. We never gave it a shot on its own since every time I asked my RE, he was all, "Nooooooo! Full steam ahead! Changing TSH and going on Met won't make that much difference!" sigh.
So I called my endo to see what could be done. What happened next shouldn't even affect me anymore, but it still makes me feel like poking pencils into my eardrums.
First of all, I asked if we could move my appointment up, could I leave a message for my doctor, etc etc. Then the fun part...
Me: I know it seems silly to want to move up an appointment that's only a month away, but when I let it go on too long, my period is really hard to handle when it finally comes.
Receptionist: Mm Hmm.
Me: [ blabbering as usual] I also get a little impatient after 2 and a half years of trying to conceive.
R: Oooh, I know how that is. Believe me.
Me: [eying pencil holder warily]
R: Yeah, wouldn't you know though...
Me: [deadly serious] No. Don't say it!
R: [giggling a bit] ...when I stopped trying is when I got pregnant!
Me: [sharpening pencils] Seriously. Don't even tell me that.
R: Sometimes you just need to take a break and relax!
Me: I've taken many breaks and relaxed plenty, thank you. I'm still not pregnant.
R: AND... when I got pregnant, it was even when I went...
Me: OK, that's enough.
R: [ignoring me] ... on a cruise!! [insert giggles] I had to go on a cruise to get pregnant!
Me: [ruefully eying the pencils that were too late] Yeah, cause that works. Don't even tell me that. A cruise does not cure PCOS.
R: We've told you before that you don't even seem to have the full syndrome.
Me: OK, that's enough. Thank you for your time [click]
Seriously. That is really how the conversation went. I'm sure I got a few of the exact words wrong, but that's exactly what she said to me, and that's how I responded. What kind of numbskull does not understand the tone (in addition to the words) of "I have had enough thank you! I do not appreciate your assvice!" This is after a whole conversation of how I don't know if I've ovulated or not, even though I'm on CD42, things are fine blah blah blah. Buttmunch.
11 comments:
I am soooo sorry. We seem to be stuck in the same hell, though. Today it seemed like everyone I came in contact with wanted to remind me that my insurance doesn't cover fertility treatments or meds. I KNOW!! THAT IS WHY I AM FLAT BROKE!!
Isn't it terrible when you call the doctor's office and are met with unappreciated and unwanted conversation. Just wonderful! I am sorry that you had to have this phone call. Maybe the next one will be better.
I want to wrap the phone cord around her neck FOR you!
Ugh! I think I'd like to poke a pencil in HER eardrum since she can't seem to LISTEN!
Poo on her!
OMG Barb. What an ass! I can't believe that so many clueless people are allowed to work in the medical field, receptionist or not.
There should be some serious training on ettiquete and dispensing fertility advice definitely should be on the what not to do list.
Can you give me her number so I can give her an earfull? Please! At the very least let the Dr. know what transpired, hopefully it won't happen to anyone else.
Seriously .. You need to have a lil chat with your Dr .. that is BEYOND unprofessional ... or maybe you should just call back and ask her what cruise line the fertility gods were shining down on and we all can book a cruise .. beaytch
Let's all just take a cruise then! I bet that'll end up being cheaper in the long run. In fact, why don't we all get together and buy out an entire cruise ship for a week! We can invite that receptionist to come along and give everyone advice on relaxing. Wait, forget just a week. Let's buy a whole cruise ship and run it ourselves. That'll do it. I'll split it with you.
Ugh! I hate the women that work at my doc's office too. They just don't get it! Isn't it enough that we have to get it every where else? You would think they could put their fake little smile on that they do for all the pregnant ladies and pretend that they understand for a while! UGH! I know how you feel. If you ever change docs I would write that lady a letter and tell her it was her fault you left!
Since I used to be a receptionist (and know when to keep my big mouth shut...) I think you should let your Dr. know how that was handled, and more importantly, how it made you feel. At very least, the receptionist owes you an apology, and if the Dr. values her patients, will see to it that you get one. I'm sorry that happened - like you needed this on top of the unwanted advice you get from other people who have no clue what you're going through, but think they do!
I'm sorry that you went through that crap. I don't understand how people like that are hired. If she works at a regular OB's office and shares those stories, fine. But she should know that she's dealing with people struggling with IF and be sensitive to that. Argh!!!! Babychaser recently did a great post on this topic.
I agree with the posters above -- you should let your doctor know about this conversation.
Wow, frustrating! There's really not much one can say that is more insulting than the "just relax" speech.
Yuck. Sorry hon.
Post a Comment