I'm still recovering. I am breathing much easier, but I still have an earache and a pressurized noggin. Hubbs has been sweet as always. I think tomorrow will be a somewhat normal day, thank God.
Grandfather's ceremony was the perfect tribute to such a wonderful man. It was also the perfect closure for me at least. It involved a little chapel, a moving ceremony, a horse drawn caisson complete with brass band leading, a rifle salute and taps played by a military trumpeter. It was all a little surreal to me until I saw his photo. That photo jerked me back into the reality that this was for my Grandfather. I think I sometimes still expect to see him in his favorite chair when I visit.
It was really nice to see my Dad's side of the family again as well. It was particularly nice to get all the first cousins together. It's been a long time since that has happened. As I thought, it was a little difficult to field a few wonderings as to why his first grandchild had not yet produced a great grandchild. Mostly though, it was just difficult inside myself. I very much mourn the lost opportunity to share that with my Grandfather and with my future child. I know they would love each other on sight. And now, the 2 remaining grandparents between Hubbs and I are in their 80's. Not only that, but many of my great aunts and uncles are passing away and are older as well. I know we can't look to the past all the time, but it's just difficult.
On the other end of my visit, I got to see much of my Mother's family. It was hard the first time I walked into Aunt's house expecting to see her in the living room. It was hard for Uncle too. He had to choke back tears a few times. But Pennsylvania was beautiful as it always is in the summer, and we had a lot of fun visiting. Most of the fun involved playing with my Nephew and his little dog. What a sweet duo they make. I know I'm biased, but believe me when I say that my nephew is the smartest, sweetest little boy around. ;) I had a hard time holding back tears when we left. I know a lot of that was tied up in not having a child of my own to return to as well.
All in all, it was a good trip, but left me feeling a bit unsettled. I think Hubbs and I need to sit down and make a very concrete plan for the next step now, complete with dates. My happiness with inertia is coming to an end. And please forgive me if my writing is a bit muddled. I'm finding that my brain still isn't firing quite right because of all the gook that's clogging it.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am glad the trip went well. Sorry it was sad for you on the account of your grandfather but also your aunt. It was probably nice to see all the family though. It sounds like there are a lot of family members.
By the way Pennsylvania is nice all the time and not just in summer!
Welcome home! I'm sorry that your trip was difficult for you, with so many memories and strong emotions. I'll bet it was good to see your other family members, especially your little nephew.
Getting sick while traveling is the worst! I hope you're feeling better soon.
The last week or so has been quite nice in SE PA, but now we're on the cusp of another heat wave. Boo!
I'm glad the trip was nice, even if it was for such sad reasons.
I believe you when you say your nephew is the smartest, sweetest around! Let's hear some stories to prove it.
I'm glad the trip went well, although I'm sure that it was emotionally taxing. No wonder you ended up with a cold. Take care of yourself.
Barb- I'm so sorry for your loss, words escape me. I hope you are comforted by the many memories you have of your Grandfather, at this time and always.
Aren't newphews great, I adore mine and share your sentiments about not being able to share a little one with my grandparents as well. For me, it is the fact they will never see me pregnant. I don't know why, well yeah I do, but I don't think I'll ever fully get over that specific thing. I guess because I know, in the end, I can give them grandchildren (obviously through adoption) but they will never see me carrying a child and I know they have a sense of my pain.
Yikes, what a downer I turned out to be in this post - geesh. Sorry about that.
I'm going to go get a bowl of ice cream and you feel free to delete this. Sorry....
Not muddled at all.
Sorry for your summer cold, M is just getting over one himself.
I'm so glad that the ceremony for your grandfather was so wonderful. I know it's difficult to deal with IF and the way you had hoped things would turn out.
Good luck with the plan making, I hope the next step is clear and easy for you both. :)
Post a Comment