Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Remember

Ten years ago today, I was drawn to my mother's living room from my old bedroom because of concerned sounds and a special report issuing from the TV. There had been a plane crash it seemed... Right into a World Trade Center tower. How strange and horrible an accident!

But our family was very preoccupied and only half watching the news. The horror was hard to process through the fresh grief of the passing of a dear child in our family - only 12 years old. It was 2 days after the family's vigil by his bedside in a big Pennsylvania children's hospital that I had flown from my home in New York to attend.

In the hours that followed, we if course learned the truth and feared for family in DC. We also were horrified at the thought that his body was supposed to be driven through roads shut down by the crash in Shanksville.

In the end, we were able to drive in muted grief with his mother to help her pick out something to put in his casket that day. It was under eerily quiet skies. His funeral proceeded, and I begged my mom to drive with me back to NY rather than have to fly.

I don't usually post much about shared or other people's tragedies. I just don't feel I have much to add. I don't feel that I can contribute words with enough depth to properly memorialize or honor the victims. But this time, 10 years later for some reason, I felt the need to remember that sweet soul in our family and that horrible day in writing. God bless all who have experienced these trying times in our history and those dealing with personal trials. Love to all.

1 comment:

HereWeGoAJen said...

That's why I don't do much about large tragedies that are not my own too.

This post is perfect though, I am glad you shared it.