It's funny to me that many of the books I've read and people I've talked to caution that you really should put the baby monitor away after a certain point, yet those same books and people remind you incessantly that SIDS is a constant danger and while it diminishes greatly after 6 months, it's still a possibility up to 2 years of age!*
*Wow. That's a long sentence.
Monday, September 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Really? I hadn't heard that. Plus, I thought that SIDS was only SIDS in children under a year? I have no idea if that is true or not.
I don't know about the terminology, and I may be bending the wording a bit on the 2 years. It's usually one, but what I'm going on is I read in one of my Baby books that it's ok to put a small pillow in the crib with the baby only after age 2. That's what I'm going on there. :) I'm tired of the fear stuff.
Oh.. and we had a nurse at a bfing meeting tell us we couldn't stop worrying until after 2 years. sigh.
Ummmm, we vowed never to get a video monitor and now we have one. It's like crack. :-)
SoBee is over 2 1/2 years old and we STILL use the monitor at night! Mostly b/c I fear someone is going to break in through her bedroom window at night (ok, I freak out about weird things!) but also b/c she wakes up in the a.m. and talks so sweetly to herself that I don't want to miss anything :)
Also, I know a woman whose baby died of SIDS and when her other children were born they hooked special monitors on them at night until they were over the age of two in case they stopped breathing. This was over 10 years ago and I don't know if they still do this, but I think it's safest to wait until after 2!
I never really planned on getting rid of the baby monitor because A's room is all the way on the other side of the apartment and I wouldn't be able to hear her if something was wrong.
I'm also afraid to let her sleep with a blanket or pillow. I told DH I plan on her wearing those sleep sacks till she's 10 :-)
Post a Comment