Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Great Milks Experiment

Jen and I conducted an experiment today. (What would I do without her?) We gave E formula for a few feedings and then expressed breast milk. The formula (4 oz) held him for 2-3 hours and he was a happy baby other than being sleepy. With the breast milk was (4.5 oz) he was still very hungry after drinking the bottle and had to be given something like another 1.5 oz of formula. Then, 20 or so minutes into the drive home he had an "I'M HUNGRY!" meltdown, and I had to give him another 1.5 oz of formula. When he nurses, I get 45 mins to an hour in between the start of each feeding. He nursed great this morning and was happy, but he nursed for 15-20 mins and was hungry 45 mins later. I think we can safely say, something about my breastmilk is not filling him up. Not enough calories? Not enough fat? I have no idea. I just know with each week, the time between feedings and his discontent after feedings was getting worse and worse.

We will work with a way of combining formula and expressed breast milk and then just doing nursing when it works for both of us for bonding mainly. (And I'll be ready with formula as a back up!)

Note that he let me type this WHOLE THING while he was in my arms!! Satisfied babies are happy, wonderful babies!

He also christened his first cloth diaper today... with a leaky poop of course. What else? I will put up photos later.

Love yous all.

p.s. He just nursed GREAT after having a bottle all day. So I don't think he'll lose the ability.
p.p.s. Forgot to give a shout-out to Kaybee for having a similar idea and helping me earlier.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is SO great that you are figuring out what works! I wonder if you can get your breastmilk tested? I would just be curious. You sound so encouraged tonight, and I am so glad!

Kristin said...

Glad it's working out for you two.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Big steps today! We'll figure that little baby out.

Also, for those of you who were sadly not at my house today, E is SO cute and he smells so yummy. And he took a nap smooshed up into my chest. So ha ha. :)

Emily said...

I just love how CONFIDENT you are! I was a wreck when going through the nursing/formula thing, mostly because I let myself get frustrated by what worked for other people. Such a waste of my time. I should have gone with my gut and my instincts way earlier. Good for you!! You're doing AWESOME!

Karen said...

I'm glad you're finding a solution that works for you and E.

And Jen, that's just mean. ;-)

Calliope said...

soooo glad you had Jen with you to do baby experiments and stuff.
And also so glad that you are finding E's food groove.
xo

Jess said...

Hey Barb - it's not that there's anything wrong with your breastmilk, it's just that breastmilk is super quick and easy for babies to digest whereas formula takes a bit more effort to digest so keeps the babes going for a bit longer. Sounds like you've got a super hungry baby there. S was the same. I nursed just about every hour for the first 3 months and then every time he had a growth spurt or developmental milestone. It's full-on, isn't it??!

Katie said...

It could be a couple of things:

1) Growth spurt. Will ate a LOT during spurts and could be content on the breast ALL. day. long. They usually last about a week or even two.

2) Some sort of sensitivity to something in your diet (he is not hungry, his tummy hurts). My son was dairy sensitive and when I cut out dairy, it seemed to help a lot .

That being said, we also did a lot of supplemental formula bottles (I called them "toppers") during a growth spurt or when he just seemed hungry and I successfully nursed him until 15 months. He happily went from breast to bottle and then breast to cup. So, in any case, it sure can't hurt!!!

Barb said...

just a note that this progression of hungry has not stopped. EVER - much as Jess said, and E is a screamy, grumpy mess pretty much the whole day i feed, and i'm alone all day - making 7 wks of bfing like that a little difficult as i have to eat and we both need clean clothes and human interaction sometime. just a note. maybe i'm not tough enough, but i've decided i'm ok with that.

Confident Emily???? HA!!! thanks, but i'm a mess too, there has been some crying. nourishing your baby is such a gut thing. it;s very hard.

Barb said...

good to know katie! as i dont want to lose bfing

Jen said...

I'm glad you are starting to get him and an approach to feeding that works for you both figured out. Hang in there...it will get better!

KayBee said...

Thanks for the shout-out! Glad you're on the right path! You up for a visit from us this week? xoxo.

Liz said...

I sincerely hope that the promise of a photo of diaper and poop was a joke...

Barb said...

i meant a photo of him in his diaper. haha.

Kaybee - Sis is coming on Monday and staying til Thurs, then Aunt is coming on the 8th. If you can fit it in there. :) We might be doing something next weekend, but we can work it out.

Me said...

I have a friend who swears by doing 75% formula and 25% EBM. Hopefully you will be able to work out a similar regime that works for you too!

Barb said...

I've been doing about 30/70 to 40/60, and it seems to be working well!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I think a happy baby AND a happy mummy is the most important thing :-) Everything else is gravy.