Got the call back from the nurse today. My tsh is now up to 3.49 again. Not terrible, no, but certainly not between the 1 and 2 that they want to see. Fourth synthroid increase here I come! I'll find out about the antibodies later in the week.
Too pooped today to post what I really want to. Maybe tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm loving all your blogs and reader comments! Woo Hoo!!
UPDATE: I got the call today about my thyroid peroxidase (antibodies) test and my thyroglobulin results. Your thyroid peroxidase is supposed to be under 35. Mine is... wait for it.... wait for it.... OVER ONE THOUSAND! I tried to convince them that I should win a prize for that, but they weren't buying it. Thyroglobulin is supposed to be under 20 and mine is 21. I know.. such an underwhelming performance from such an overachiever! Oh well, I guess the 1000 makes up for it. ;-) Hey, if I didn't have a sense of humor, where would I be huh?
So basically, this means that I probably have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which my mother and grandma both have/had. It's an autoimmune disorder in which your body attacks your thyroid. It gets progressively worse over time and causes major problems for ttc, but Dr. B wants me to see an endocrinologist to have the thyroid u/s and get the right treatment. I guess it could be cancer too, but let's look on the bright side shall we? This has been so long term, I imagine it's not. If you could measure the time spent TTC with a meter, I see mine spinning faster and faster for longer and longer. I'm just feeling slightly disheartened. I mean seriously.. pcos, most likely endometriosis, now this? If anyone has words of encouragement from your experiences, feel free to share.
If you have questions about the antibody testing, click here for more info.
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
oh, barb. wow. i am so sorry that crap seems to keep piling on top of, well, crap. i wish i had some insight for you...but since i don't, huge (((HUGS))) coming your way. xoxox
OMG Barb,
I'm so sorry to hear that you have one more issue to deal with. (Is there a bright side to knowing... treatment?) I'm going to have a look at that link you posted since I don't know anything about the antibodies and thyroiditis.
Wishing it weren't so...
Stephanie
P.S. Could your Dr. B be my Dr. B?
Ilissa - Thanks so much sweetie! And here you are comforting ME with all that's been on your mind. LOVE the hugs.. thanks so much. xoxoxoxo
Stephanie - I just sent an email your way that should answer all your q's. :) And thanks so much for your kindness.
I don't know what kinds of comments would encourage you right now, bu tknow that I"m thinking of you! I do have a friend that had her thyroid removed altogether, and she has 2 beautiful children. But I don't know how the other stuff ties in.
I had thyroid u/s on Tuesday, and I'm still waiting for the results. This stuff stinks!!
Thanks Seussgirl! The fact that someone like that DID get pregnant does give me hope. Thanks again!
Hi Barb. I'm a Hashimoto's girl too. One of my friends has Celiac and she's jokingly jealous that I got the autoimmune disease with the cool name. ;-)
Both my RE and my PCP don't think the Hashimoto's is keeping me from GETTING pregnant. They think it could keep me from STAYING pregnant. But, since I haven't gotten pregnant yet, I'm skeptical. I'm on 50 mcg of Synthroid right now - and last blood test showed tsh at .8 (down from 5.2 initally in Jan 07). I have a link on my blog on thyroid & IF that you might be interested in if you haven't seen it.
I'll be checking out your link too. I try to read all I can on this...
Thinking of you. It's never easy to get crappy news. Although, in the words of my RE - "if you're going to have a disease, this is the one to have".
Oh no, Barb! I am sorry that it seems you've inherited this madness. I hope it was a fluke but I'm sure that's just me being Pollyanna. (((HUGS))) I wish I had something more intelligent to say.
Allison - Thanks for all the info! I will definitely check that out! Information always makes me feel better.
Kristen - Yeah, but I guess you never know. My RE is stubbornly refusing to talk about exactly what those numbers mean for me. Instead he wants me to get all my info from the regular endocrinologist. So I'll wait until I can get in. sigh.
Hey there, I'm new to TTC and blogging but have also just had a diagnosis of Hashimoto's Disease. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with it too. I'm going to try attacking it through nutrition and supplements so am definitely interested to compare notes with someone who is going the western medicine route. I will keep checking in to see how you're going. Good luck.
Post a Comment