I went to my clinic to have a blood draw for my regular tsh evaluation today. (I know you're all on the edge of your seats with anticipation. Don't worry, I'll post an update when I get the big news. ;-} ) Anyway, I asked about the thyroid peroxidase test and any other antibody test I might need since I never had those done. (Thanks Lizzy/Sheol. Your research posting is what made me look into it.)
They were kind of shocked that I had never had it done with RE#1 and ordered it right away. I was not surprised and mentioned such to the lab head. I also mentioned how I feel you almost have to be the driver of your own medical care anymore. She somewhat agreed with me, but then expressed the belief that patients have to "step up to the plate," and "take more responsibility for their care." Don't get me wrong. I adore the staff at my office, and she was actually paying me a compliment at the time. However, I somewhat disagree with her statements. Although I like my new doctor a lot and think highly of his skills, I don't exactly feel like an equal partner in this endeavor. I feel more like the ONLY partner. If it weren't for my nurse, I'd wonder if I was even a blip on the radar sometimes. I do think we have to understand our problems the best we can, and do our best to ask insightful questions. However, if I hadn't stumbled on that research paper posting, I wouldn't even really know much about the antibodies and the effect they can have on ttc. Thank God I finally have an RE and staff though that makes it easy for me to ask these questions, and that keeps up with the newest research. With the other one, I always felt dismissed and ignored.
So what do you think? Do you think your doctors are involved enough in your health care? If not, or is so, why? Post your answers in the comments, or feel free to post on your blogs about it. Just let me know so I can read your insightful musings!
P.S. I still welcome any treat ideas for healthy eating! I'm a food hound and need some new things to try! :) (see previous post)
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hi Barb,
I just came across your blog a few days ago, and I'm looking forward to reading about your journey. I too am fertility challenged in (central) Florida.
I had similar experience with my gyno pretending to be experienced in infertility. After about 5 months of "take these and let me know if it works out" I realized she was pretty clueless and moved on to an RE.
The thing is...I rarely see him, it's mostly me and the nurse (she's the best). It does kind of bother me that when I do get one on one time with him, he has to ask me what's going on, he doesn't even take the time to read my chart before taking a look under the hood. I definitely feel like a blip!
That being said, I think he's a vey capable RE, but I do wonder how long I should just accept his treatment course. But then again, there aren't a lot of options for the treatment of endometriosis, I think IVF is going to be in my future.
It's definitely a good idea to research as much as possible about options, but you also have to trust the RE as well (easier said than done).
My guess as to the why we as patients need to be on top of everything is...it seems to be that the REs have too many patients to devote the time necessary to really diagnose and tailor an appropriate treatment. They take a look at the basic symptoms and try the easiest, most logical treatment. When that doesn't work, they try the next and so on and so forth. If we're lucky, it will work quickly, but if not, it's a long and frustrating process. Plus, most IF patients are paying out of pocket and no one wants to waste money on ineffective treatment!
Wow, that was way more than I intended to write! Thanks for the opportunity to share. Good luck with the journey!
Stephanie
hey, barb!
i'm feeling too tired to think about doctors and such today, so i'll post about gluten, diary, soy free food, cause i'm on the same "diet"!!!
i LOVE van's gluten-free waffles, in the freezer section at whole foods. they have plain, blueberry, cinnamon apple, and "buckwheat." they are SO YUM.
i also love breakfast/energy bars, my current faves are lara bars and bumble bars. i also like the gluten free coco snack bars and very berry snack bars. there is also a yummy apple cinnamon.
lastly, i have a great recipe for making baba ganouj, which is yum with tortilla chips! i also have a recipe for gluten free banana muffins!! BIG YUM! let me know if you want me to post them!
Stephanie -
WOW we have some similarities huh? My nurse is the BEST too. Thank goodness. I don't see my doc much either, but every time I do, I'm reassured by his professionalism and by how well updated he is in treatment options. Of the options I have here (also in Central FL) I feel he is the best. Now he doesn't really know me well, but he's on top of the medical stuff, and the other RE seemed to be bad at BOTH so... if you want more personal info, or want to compare notes, please feel free to email me at Blue105 at yahoo I can certainly share any and all info I have gleaned with you. I've found some pretty helpful stuff.
As for all your comments. Yeah I think you're very right. I just wonder.. is that ok? And WHY does it happen that they ahve too many patients. And yes.. I find that I have to tell myself.. TRUST the RE .. you chose him.. now TRUST him. haha.
Glad to have you reading!! :D
Ilissa YES! I want those recipes!!!!!!!!!!! FOOOD! :D We poor PCOS/endo schmucks need as much help as we can get. Great snacky ideas! I'll compile them in my future snack post if you don't mind. :)
baba gannouj
1 large eggplant (1.5 lbs)
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon tahini
ground cumin
preheat oven to 425. punch holes in the eggplant w/fork and place in baking dish - cook for 45 minutes until eggplant is all sunken inn. remove from heat and let cool until you can peel it safely. peel and put in food processor. add all other ingredients except cumin and process until smooth. serve chilled and sprinkled with cumin.
yummy w/blue organic tortilla chips or veggies.
gluten free banana muffins
1.5 cups gluten free flour (i use rice flour)
1.5 cup brown sugar (or stevia)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1/3 cup almond milk
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
optional - chopped walnuts, raisins, coconut (i don't use these but would love to use some chocolate chips!)
preheat oven to 375. combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, xanthan gum, and salt. in a large bowl, combine melter butter, eggs, milk and banana. add dry ingredients. stir in chopped walnuts, raisins, or coconut if desired. spoon into oil sprayed muffin pan. bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
Post a Comment